Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you download?

• 24-12-2003 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Well, I have been with UTV Internet for a year now with ISDN and stick mainly with 1 64K Channel (7K/s normally) I have attached my download stats for the last 6 months? I have 180Hrs per month but I normally would not go beyond 100-120 hours and around 1Gb max. How do you compare? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

On Satellite broadband here as I'm too far away to get ADSL (first choice would be clicksilver of course) :)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

see attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Paul with those numbers you would immediately be kicked off:D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

incubus what are you using to connect to the net:eek:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd generally average about 16 gigs (combined) a month. But when i first got BB, i was transferring up to 60 a month (up and down) for first 2 months. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Stupid question but, what program are you using to measure the transfer? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Andrew163,

It's called Dumeter. Another useful such tool would be logtime. Do a google...

Hamster.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can also use netmeter which is free and does the same thing as dumeter

anyway afaik I we roughly get 220GB off of the 512k line I have access to :D (or whatever the max for a 512K is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

think i dl about 4 gigs a month . it would dl more but my limit is 8 and cant find the stuff to intrest me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Which satralite provider allows this?
    I was under the impression that satalitte providers were very fussy about download limits.
    Is it expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Ya please tell me - im new to satelite broadband - in fact i have all the gear but cant get the europeonline software to install so im looking for an alternative...

Please??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

@ Joc - What OS are you running ? I had similar problems trying to get europeonline running on Win XP, in the end I went with netsystem
    Netsystem started off uncapped and then they imposed a 6GB limit for existing users and I think a 3Gb one for new subscribers.

Got rid of them after a year due to their quality of service, throttling of P2P ports etc.
    They would appear to have improved that though, although as you would imagine pings are quite big - so I wouldn't expect it to be good for gamers.

With UTV BB now, a whole lot better.

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    @ Joc - What OS are you running ? I had similar problems trying to get europeonline running on Win XP, in the end I went with netsystem
    Netsystem started off uncapped and then they imposed a 6GB limit for existing users and I think a 3Gb one for new subscribers.

Got rid of them after a year due to their quality of service, throttling of P2P ports etc.
    They would appear to have improved that though, although as you would imagine pings are quite big - so I wouldn't expect it to be good for gamers.

With UTV BB now, a whole lot better.

Im running winxppro and its breaking my heart tryig to configure eol.

Have you a link to the utv satellite website??
    What is it called - i cant seem to find it anywhere!!

Any other advice - eg price,speeds , dl caps??

thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

The satellite service I was referring to is a personal project - nothing to do with UTVI.

Originally posted by Paul-UTVI
    The satellite service I was referring to is a personal project - nothing to do with UTVI.

Oh right interesting

I was on about dr dre comment though. I would really like to get mine up and running, it been driving me mad for the last couple of weeks. Ive given up on europeonline and i would like to hear from other's out there - who would ye recommend??

Thanks again lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Oops, didn't make it clear :o I'm with UTV ADSL now, not satellite !

You could take a look around the forum on www.netsystemusers.com to see how happy people are with netsystems current setup, as i was saying I think their service has improved since I left them in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Cabaal
    You can also use netmeter which is free and does the same thing as dumeter

anyway afaik I we roughly get 220GB off of the 512k line I have access to :D (or whatever the max for a 512K is)

how the hell you stop it from resetting tho? :S

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Gideon
    how the hell you stop it from resetting tho? :S

What resetting?
    The connection? never noticed it dropping, well actually I have but thats due to there being no bandwidth so things like IRC often have connection issues during very high usage :(

sorry, meant the netmeter, resets everytime the comp restarts or connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

NTL 600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You don't turn off your PC when you have BB alan :)

As I'm learning! :D

well i will be, seems a bit stupid. DU meter has a proper log. Doubt it would be hard for the netmeter people to do something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

eircon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Originally posted by CivilServant
    eircon
    €ircon charge you for the 12gb?Should hopefuly have switched my line today - pity my exams also start today =/ The marks arnt going to be great for teh rest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

No I'm on eircon 2mb

Originally posted by Giblet

You don't turn off your PC when you have BB alan :)

As I'm learning! :D

Agreed, I have a PC turned on 24/7 downloading, I reboot it every 17+ days as it starts acting up (WindowsXP) and I haven't yet got the time to switch the box over to Linux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

i use 100gigs + a month
    my computer hasnt been turned off for more than a few minutes in months

Dont have dumeter but this is nice :)
    desktop.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

8GB, the IOLBB cap.

Just checked DUMeter, it must be counting network traffic also as it reads over 40GB combined this month, anyone else notice this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

in only have utv broadband a week but am downloading about 100m a day so far just playing unreal tournament for 2 hrs a day (pings @ >60 :( , some maps are over 7 meg, but they are saved in a cache so this will useage will drop.

i can never think of anything to download

my computer hasnt been turned off for more than a few minutes in months

did you try the silver colour for that desktop, i think its much nicer

raster there is an option in DUmeter for which network to monitor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by mukki
    ...raster there is an option in DUmeter for which network to monitor

Excellent, just found it, had been set at "all interfaces" so changed to relevant connection, thanks.

Advertisement