Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need?

Options
  • 24-12-2003 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi,

I couldn't find the exact answer in the achives or google. I need hardware to set up a 3 xbox LAN. As far as I know the cheapest solution is a 4 port hub. BUT I may get broadband in the future, so I wan't to cater for that as well. The thing is I don't know exactly what type of broadband I could be getting (ADSL, cable etc..), so the hardware would need to be future proof to some degree.

Also I may be tempted to share the broadband thru a wireless setup, is there such a thing that caters for hardwire connections & wireless connections? Eg Four 10BaseT ethernet connections and four wireless connections in one box for a domestic house.

PS.I don't intend to setup the xbox's wirelessy (sp)!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

For the time being you may as well get a 4 port hub for the XBoxes. In the future you can get a single DSL modem that include a wireless Access Point and lan connection. This can connect into the hub and thus any wireless machines will be able to talk to the ones on the hub via the DSL modem/AP. And all the machines will be able to connect to the internet via the dsl modem.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

And all the machines will be able to connect to the internet via the dsl modem.

You'll be needing a router or some NAT device in there to do ICS (internet connection sharing) if you want net access.
    Multiple Pc's/xbox's connected to a hub/switch won't get net access through the broadband modem without something doing the routing.
    The new eircom dsl modems are actually routers so they just need a wireless access point as Verb mentioned - but some ethernet modems (dlink 300g+) need a router.

Best either
    1. get a hub/switch now for the xbox lan - and worry about net access later or,
    2. get a wireless broadband router such as an smc barricade g - this has a 4 port switch built in so the xbox's can be connected now (both to each other and the net), a wan socket for a futue broadband device, and 54Mbit wireless.

tribble

Aye, I thought I'd gotten that across, but if not fair enough. Anything that can forward traffic from the wireless segment to the wired segment will most likely have support for NAT as well. In the few I've come across at any rate, you'd of course have to check the ones you get.

Gav

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Forget about a hub, get a switch - I've got two 5-port switches in the house, I think they were around 20 quid each.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Thanks for the info folks!

Would the following do the job? I'm pretty sure it would, based on the information ye gave me, but I just want to confirm that it would be ok!

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=20

Thanks,
    LK.

• Advertisement

Yup that seems to be the business. Allows for you to plug in a DSL modem or whatever sort of broadband connection you get.

Gav

Advertisement