Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our president gets paid way too much

Options
  • 26-12-2003 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Seems this little nugget slipped under the radar. Mary McAleese pocketed €514,000 last year. This is a ridiculous amount of money. I know she's a competent woman but over half a million for what exactly? I think she gets paid more than Bush.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

ah yeah but Mary McAleese doesn't have all those brown envelopes and oil deals under her belt. hehe, yeah it does seem like quite a lot of money, but was the president not always getting something similar to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

But look what we got for our money!
    We got that stirring condemnation of the war in Iraq! er...
    Well, we at least got the inquiry into the actions of our government at the time, didn't we? er....
    Well, what about the wonderful humanitarian work and her outspoken criticism of the ills of our society... er....

Yeah, what's up with that?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

According to recent openion polls - The president is extremely popular.

Her salary is probably similar to that of her predesser - Mary Robinson.

Is She being paid too much?

I surpose the body that was set up to look at the pay across the public service looked at it?

Was this report not accepted by our social parters including our TRADE UNIONS?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can we have a link for that half million ?
    Also how much was expenses eg: Air Travel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by vorbis
    Seems this little nugget slipped under the radar. Mary McAleese pocketed €514,000 last year. This is a ridiculous amount of money. I know she's a competent woman but over half a million for what exactly? I think she gets paid more than Bush.
    Not quite. €223,667 salary + €317,434 allowances (total €541,101). Means she probably "took home" something like around €130,000.

Page 14-15 and 24-26 http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Publications/other/financeaccounts2002.pdf

By your reckoning Bertie made over €2.2mil (Bertie got €2,094,432, where Mary got €317,434 in expenses). Interesting the way Mary's salaruy is highlighted, but none of the other consitutional office hoilders are individually identified.

That said Mary does get her hair done an awful lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

We have a president?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Sarky
    We have a president?
    President is a bit of a strong term. I've heard her described as a "glorified lollipop lady"

Basically she's handed the final draft of a law, and she either says yes and signs it or she says no and it's constitutionality is tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    President is a bit of a strong term. I've heard her described as a "glorified lollipop lady"

Basically she's handed the final draft of a law, and she either says yes and signs it or she says no and it's constitutionality is tested.

Not if it's a money bill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well at least the position is no longer a retirement fund for politicians. Imagine Brian Lenihan as president [shudder] Garret would have been good in the job. But it's better that the president does not come from any party in power - less colusion - the job does not involve much real work but if she throws just one dodgy bill back at the govt then it's worth it.

Ask any Spainard about the value of the monarchy , swanning around , getting tabloid stories and pictures (remember that one under the table) and not doing much really, unless you count that incident when there was the coup...

yeah if got rid of her we could keep the Gov't Jet going for a few weeks more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Originally posted by Victor
    Not quite. €223,667 salary + €317,434 allowances (total €541,101). Means she probably "took home" something like around €130,000.

Page 14-15 and 24-26 http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Publications/other/financeaccounts2002.pdf

By your reckoning Bertie made over €2.2mil (Bertie got €2,094,432, where Mary got €317,434 in expenses). Interesting the way Mary's salaruy is highlighted, but none of the other consitutional office hoilders are individually identified.

That said Mary does get her hair done an awful lot.

what exactly is meant by allowances?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by vorbis
    what exactly is meant by allowances?
    Much of it is discretionary spending like personal assistant, researchers, entertainment (food and drink for official visitors, including pleb visitors), official gifts, household expenses (official residence, but there are other cost headings to run the Áras), etc. Part of it is to allow officials "look the part" (i.e. no more anoraks for Bertie - he has to look the part 24x7). The issue is some of the senior people are taking it too far (especially on cosmetics, hair, etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

If you consider €514,000 is the cost of having a president, then clearly its a small amount if one assumes it includes the cost of running the Aras, and I assume any other costs/expensives that are associated with being the President.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say half a million a year is a good price to pay someone to protect the constitution!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by PHB
    I'd say half a million a year is a good price to pay someone to protect the constitution!
    Wouldn't mind if she actually had, but Hogan v. State found that the state had acted in an unconstitutional manner - and she never said a thing. She in fact, supported them, and it was left to Hogan to challange them.

Can we ask for our money back? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nope, we elected her :)

Don't you just love democracy? I do :)

Originally posted by ciderandhavoc
    If you consider €514,000 is the cost of having a president, then clearly its a small amount if one assumes it includes the cost of running the Aras, and I assume any other costs/expensives that are associated with being the President.
    The cost of running the Áras is on top of that - more than €1m for office and domestic staff, office supplies, maintainence, etc.

Security and transport comes out of the Justice and Defence budgets.

Advertisement