Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker Systems + Amp

• 26-12-2003 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get some speakers similar to these:

Sony SA-VE335 100W per channel

Sony SA-VE535 130W per channel

(whats the difference between them, besides price?)

Also looking for a decent amp with input from TV, DVD, XBOX + 1 or 2 more imputs that can take advandage of the above speakers.

Looking forward to your suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I might if yer sig wasnt trying to set a cookie for "Eve" on my computer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

mmm the image or the fact its linked to their webpage? :dunno:
    img]http://www.r4ge.com/itsatrap.jpg[/img [url=http://www.eve-online.com]img]http://www.eve-online.com/download/banners/files/88_31_2.gif[/img][/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AFAIK the only difference is different max wattage output.

I have these http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=5911&type=6&path=10x123x5549 they are teh bomb.

John

The other thing to consider about both of them is that they are an old model.

If it's the sony wega system that you want, then it has to be a sony amp to be honest and one thats capable of delivering what the speakers are capable of.

I was told several times, when getting this stuff, that if you are building a system, the most important thing first is to get your speakers right.
    After all you could have an all singing and dancing amp, but if the speakers are weak, your sound will let you down.

If I had to choose among the two options you've given, I'd obviously go for the second,more watts delivers more punch in the sound with movies/xbox and a sweeter sound imho to much bigger volume with music.

The savs500H appears to be the newer version of the second one and has cool looking satellite speakers as opposed to the chunkier ones at peats, for about the same price when you convert the sterling to euro etc.
    But do a price check at kelkoo which found them at techtronics for £319 or so
    http://search.kelkoo.co.uk/sitesearch/go.jsp?offerId=3598723122301uk3598723-Sony-SA-VS500H&orw

Regarding amps, most will support the normal stuff including your xbox and you wont be disappointed with a sony amp with the watts to drive that speaker set eg the str db2000 which supports 6.1 which means that you can add another rear centre speaker if you want in the future.
    This would also do the job at 120 watts without the option of 6.1 for cheaper.
    But again do a price check with kelcoo to see if you can find it cheaper.

By the way there are multitudes of other options besides sony,I've a marantz sr7200 and upgraded the speakers to a set of m5 and seven missions before xmas and the results sound wise are amazing!

Hope that helps

Originally posted by Man
    The savs500H appears to be the newer version of the second one and has cool looking satellite speakers as opposed to the chunkier ones at peats, for about the same price when you convert the sterling to euro etc.

WOW, they look great. I was a bit unsure as they are built into the stands and maybe not as high quality as the stand-alones (no idea why)

That amp is a bit pricy though. Are there any mid-priced amps that can handle 5*120W outputs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The new version of the save 535's r the save 545's, same output ans similar looks but they r €40 cheaper. amp wise the strdb790 is €429 and is 6.1 with an extra set of 2 channel outputs. also supports DTS-ES and DD-EX. Its 100w x 6. If u specifically want a 6 x 120w output then the strdb2000 is ur man, thing is tho, ur paying €250 extra fpr the extra 20w per channel.

Originally posted by STaN
    WOW, they look great. I was a bit unsure as they are built into the stands and maybe not as high quality as the stand-alones (no idea why)

That amp is a bit pricy though. Are there any mid-priced amps that can handle 5*120W outputs?

Any of the sony stores should have them, and would set them up for you to have a listen.

Yeah you can drive them with an amp pumping just 100W and your sound would be just great to be honest, you can always update later if you want and there would be a resale value on your existing amp.
    The Sony strde595 would do a brilliant job.
    That site has it at the equivalent of €350 or so which is great value for what it does.
    But get a price on it in one of the sony stores and have a listen there too ( theres one on the green just down from the Gresham towards baggot I think ) and a search on kelkoo finds it at £169 plus postage in silver or black and they do deliver to the republic of Ireland :)
    ( heck I wonder what their price is on the speakers...)
    With the savs 500 speaker set, you wouldn't be getting a speaker for 6.1 anyhow and to be honest, most DVD's are only in 5.1 format at the moment.

I was a bit puzzled.. the

Sony SA-VE335 are more expensive than the Sony SA-VE345. Any1 know a reason for this.

The same with the Sony SA-VE535 and the Sony SA-VE345 :dunno:

Well it looks like i can only afford a 100W amp at the moment so i might splash on the SAVS500H (are they a bit OTT? :confused:) as the difference is kind of made up if you include what speaker stands cost (€60 per pair).

Originally posted by STaN
    I was a bit puzzled.. the

Sony SA-VE335 are more expensive than the Sony SA-VE345. Any1 know a reason for this.

The same with the Sony SA-VE535 and the Sony SA-VE345 :dunno:

Thats often but not always the case when a new model is brought along, theres science in the making of the speakers, but there appears to be sometimes very little science to the pricing policies sometimes.
    Well it looks like i can only afford a 100W amp at the moment so i might splash on the SAVS500H (are they a bit OTT? :confused:) as the difference is kind of made up if you include what speaker stands cost (€60 per pair).
    No they aren't ott imho, they are a good choice when paired with the 595 amp. The better the speaker, the better the sound, especially when your amp is going to be 100W.
    They also look cool to say the least.

You won't be dissappointed I would reckon.
    I'll leave the floor open to other opinions now :D

Ok...

Got my hands on the Sony SA-VS 500h

sa-vs500h.jpg

and the Sony STR-DB 790 6.1 100W amp

strdb790.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

whered u get them & how much (as a matter of interest)

Sony stores (a few dotted around Dublin)

Just under €1000 (on sale)

cool

Thats very good value :)

sound is excellent - i heartly endores this product/service

Maybe in 6 months or so i'll swap out the amp for a 120 W one :)

Advertisement