Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird or Interesting offline Software to try?

Options
  • 26-12-2003 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Have you ever come across downloaded weird or interesting software from net?

Ones I came across are:

* Geoclock - Globe sunrise/sunset program with realtime updates - good but old
    * VistaPro - Great Fractal program - old but classic
    * ESB Unit Conversion Utility - Converts 370 types of units of measurement into another - wow! (well, it's bleeding handy to convert when I hear inches or horsepower....) :)

Any good small power tools or weird programs you came across? :p

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah - usually put them in the stickies

as for geoclock - have a look at http://www.hewgill.com/xearth/index.html - moving desktop wallpaper

Xearth will not be able to update the desktop if Active Desktop is set to "View as web page". If anyone can think of a reason to view desktop as a web page let me know - just one more thing to bug out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you like xearth, uyou might like XGlobe, it has nice more realistic images.
    http://www.cs.unc.edu/~scheuerm/xglobe/

You might wanna create a custome homepage from all your fav bookmarks and use that as you desktop so you're just 1 click away from your fav sites?

*shrug*

I believe some ppl also set the latest boards posts as part of their desktop. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by p
    If you like xearth, uyou might like XGlobe, it has nice more realistic images.
    http://www.cs.unc.edu/~scheuerm/xglobe/*

ehm, does that program work for windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

p,
    XGlobe looks the business. Upon compiling the source it under Redhat I'm getting an error that it belives type Qt isn't defined. Now I believe I have the Qt 3.1 libraries installed in /usr/lib/qt3.1. I'm hoping I don't have to downgrade to use this Qt1.4/2? Just wondering what os flavor you are using for it and did you head to www.troll.no to get a specific Qt driver? A brief look there shows 3.1 is available. I'm using RH9.

ando,

As far as I can see XGlobe is linux based. Try a google combination and you will probably find something similar. Geoclock will also work nicely under the emulator "dosbox" in a window. A P4-3.06/3.2 can make it feel like it's running on a 486DX2-P90 now.. not that it needed much to begin with :) Geoclock is handy since it has sunset.sunrise times with moonphase, sun height angle relative to the horizon, lat. & long. etc....

Advertisement