Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS error on Xbox?

• 26-12-2003 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Got a lovely new Xbox console for Christmas and was happily playing along on Xbox live for about 6 hrs last night.
    This morning I try to connect and I get a ‘DNS servers could not be reached’ error.
    Anyone out there have this problem, or is it just me?

Using I-stream with USB modem to connect to the broadband And Xbox connecting to the PC through a network card (that works fine with my 2nd PC)
    (Also if this is in the wrong forum I apologies as I cant find a better one for this problem)

Thanks for any help guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Do you know your DNS address? I'm using a USB modem myself as well for the Xbox and it won't work if it's in "Auto Settings" so I think you might have to put in the DNS address manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

sorry i dont know my DNS address... if i ring Eircon will they know and tell me? as i say it was working fine on Christmas day but next morning it just stoped.. anyway thanks for your help..

if i get it goimg maybe some of you will like to have a game or two?..

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Encapuslation is PPPoE
    Multiplexing is LLC Based
    VPI = 8 & VCI = 35

Eircom DNS Settings:

Primary DNS : 159.134.237.6
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.248.17

I don't think you have to ring Eircom for that. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong but I think you could just do nslookup some website e.g. boards.ie :) in Command Prompt.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>nslookup www.boards.ie

and the first address comes up should be the DNS address.

Definitely should have few games sometime but I only have the demo games come with the Live kit atm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thanks Zion for your help.
    Practical, That worked fine and my Xbox is back on line.. Thanks pal.

To anyone who wants a game or ten!(cant find any Irish gamers) My game tag is on my sig.

Peace out.

• Advertisement

If you want to find some Irish gamers should give this web site a visit http://www.gamertagdatabase.com . Good few are here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Zion
    I don't think you have to ring Eircom for that. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong but I think you could just do nslookup some website e.g. boards.ie :) in Command Prompt.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>nslookup www.boards.ie

and the first address comes up should be the DNS address.
    You're wrong.
    An nslookup with show the authoritative name servers, they most likely will not be resolving name servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

J:\>nslookup www.winamp.com
    Server: ns1.tinet.ie
    Address: 159.134.237.6

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.winamp.com
    Addresses: 205.188.244.138, 205.188.244.130

And it does seem to show the address needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by bricks
    J:\>nslookup www.winamp.com
    Server: ns1.tinet.ie
    Address: 159.134.237.6

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.winamp.com
    Addresses: 205.188.244.138, 205.188.244.130

And it does seem to show the address needed.
    You're right, I read the post wrong. I didn't notice he was referring to Windows nslookup, which does show the name server it is using.
    Sorry Zion :)
    /me goes looking for a certain variety of pie ;)

Advertisement