Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up bill payment with AIB online

Options
  • 26-12-2003 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to set up my mother's account so that she can pay her MNBA Visa online. But it asks for a bill reference number, so I presumed that it meant the account number printed on the bill, but I tried that and it didn't work.

So at the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is a bill reference number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It would be your MBNA account number - check the statement and get it form there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Yep, I already tried that and it didn't work.

Did you try the MBNA credit card number?

The last I heard you cannot pay a non aib credit card bill via the aib internet banking service, or at least that is what I was told a month or so ago when I asked, unless it's changed.
    You would have to nominate the account first by phoning them before it appears on your on line banking page but this is not possible for an mbna or other non AIB third party bank account.

Again unless it's changed in the last month or two, I was told you cannot transfer funds to a specific non AIB a/c either.
    You can only do this with the telephone banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

With AIB phone and online Internet banking. If you wish to set up to pay a credit card like MBNA any amount from an AIB personal bank account, some pay the minimum amount due via direct debit every month, while others pay the full outstanding amount very month to avoid 'interest' charges.

Anyway, you must first of all register with AIB Online Banking, try 1850 724 724 and ask for Customer services. After you have registered which as far as I can remember involved me filling in a form which they sent to me, and them allocating an exclusive online 'password' etc, which they then sent to me.

You can then request AIB customer services to add your mothers MBNA account to her online list of accounts payable online, and Bobs your Uncle. Or recently they upgraded their online system so that you could set it up yourself online, once you have an online password and little instruction book which they send out to new online banking customers.

I pay my MBNA visa card via AIB online banking - no problems - and I have never been made aware of any restrictions of any type as to what or whom you can pay ?.

Thats a bit long winded, but in real life AIB online banking is a breeze, and once you are a registered online customer. It saves a lot of hassle paying bills the old way.

Hope that helps & good luck.

P.:ninja:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Man
    The last I heard you cannot pay a non aib credit card bill via the aib internet banking service, or at least that is what I was told a month or so ago when I asked, unless it's changed.
    You would have to nominate the account first by phoning them before it appears on your on line banking page but this is not possible for an mbna or other non AIB third party bank account.

Again unless it's changed in the last month or two, I was told you cannot transfer funds to a specific non AIB a/c either.
    You can only do this with the telephone banking.

The facility for setting up bill payments is on available online. I haven't looked if third-party payments are there also, but if one is up I'm sure the other will probably be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    It would be your MBNA account number - check the statement and get it form there

Try the credit card number. When I registered my MBNA card [by phone] they didn't want the account number, just the card number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Thanks lads! That's great. It was the actual credit card number they were looking for. Much appreciated.

Advertisement