Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Article] Driving-test applicants are waiting for more than a year

Options
  • 26-12-2003 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/2252326?view=Eircomnet
    Driving-test applicants are waiting for more than a year
    Wednesday, 24th December, 2003

The Minister for Transport, Mr Brennan, has admitted it will take at least a year for driving-test waiting times to be brought within "acceptable" levels after it emerged yesterday that test applicants are waiting for up to 54 weeks to be examined.

Despite promised measures to clear the huge backlog, waiting times for tests have risen in recent months, reaching record levels in most of the 48 test centres around the State.

Eight centres cannot provide tests to provisional drivers in less than a year, and a further 10 have waiting lists of 50 and 51 weeks.

The waiting list in Naas is 54 weeks, while Waterford and Tallaght are the next-worst places to apply for a test, both having waiting times of 53 weeks.

Speaking to The Irish Times last night, Mr Brennan insisted that unaccompanied provisional drivers would still be banned from the roads within months under new legislation.

"The legislation is being finalised, and very soon it will be compulsory to pass a test in order to drive on our roads," he said.

He said the rush to apply for driving tests showed people "know I mean business, and they've got the message that this fellow isn't joking". However, he admitted that some of the measures aimed at increasing the number of tests carried out had yielded disappointing results.

"There are now 140 officials carrying out tests, working Saturdays and Sundays to get extra tests in. But the take-up on the scheme to bring back retired testers had a disappointing response, and only eight people came back," he said.

A deal negotiated in March which would offer bonuses for each additional test carried out before November wasn't proceeded with, Mr Brennan said. The Department had hoped there would be an 80 per cent take-up of the scheme, resulting in 40,000 more tests.

"We did look to Northern Ireland for testers, but they had none spare. The UK didn't have any either."

Mr Brennan added that there was "not a lot of money" available to employ new testers.

There are some 120,000 provisional drivers on the test waiting list, up from 51,000 in 2001. The 140 testers working for the Department can currently cope with 3,000 tests each week. However, less than half of those examined pass.

Mr Brennan said it would take at least a year before the waiting time was down to an acceptable average of three months, and the current situation would not improve much for three to six months.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brennan's department said last month at least 358,845 people - about 17 percent of motorists in Ireland - had never passed a driving test.
    http://www.modbee.com/24hour/weird/story/989768p-6949714c.html

So of the 1 in 4 licence holders who don't have a full licence only 1 in 3 are on the waiting list and only 1 in 2 will pass the test - extrapolating a wee bit almost 5 out of 6 provisional licence holders will NOT pass their test this year.

Re waiting times I know of one woman who did her test while very pregnant - she passed - tester couldn't wait to get her out of the car in case she popped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I'm on waiting list for Naas, my time was confirmed by a letter for the end of Feb, over a year waiting. Crazy stuff indeed.

*shakes fist* at all those wasters that have been driving on provisonals for years or worse still with nothing. GRRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i was waiting 7 months for mine, good job i passed it, wouldnt fancy waiting another year to get another shot at it, my cousin went to do his test and forgot his license so couldnt do it, he rang the test application line or whatever and she said he'd have a date within 3 weeks but he's had to wait a year only got a date in january there a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

He said the rush to apply for driving tests showed people "know I mean business, and they've got the message that this fellow isn't joking"
    Haha, I've yet to be convinced. Anyone keeping a tab of how many announcements Brennan has made by press release that have actually been carried out, enforced or legislated for?

I once called the guy competent (or at least more competent than most of his colleagues in government). Just in case I didn't officially withdraw that months ago, I'll do that now.

Why do we need new legislation to stop people driving unaccompanied while on a first or third or subsequent provisional licence? Haven't we had that legislation for years but didn't enforce it because there might be a few auld votes lost in it?

I'm rather in favour of not letting people on the roads at all without at least a qualified driving instructor accompanying them until they've passed a test but I'd like to see us crawl first and have tests available at reasonable notice. This is incompetence of the highest order. Brennan, you're an idiot until you convince me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

On a similar note: People are so dumb. Why would you want to sit a test for your provisional, when you could have just sent off for one 2 years ago - no questions asked?? DUH!! I got mine when I was 17 - never drove on it, then by the time I was insured (19), I had my 2nd provisional, and could drive on my own (without a licenced driver in the car). Common sense.

The reason there is such a big wait for the test nowadays, is because people are stupid (and suckers) - plain & simple. There was only a 5-week wait 2 years ago when my mate & girlfriend (twice) did theirs. Now all the suckers are rushing to get their test because of the new provisional licence restrictions.
    I'm glad these people have to wait - serves them right for being too dumb to sort it out while they had the chance. Why didn't they apply 2 years ago when there was no waiting list? HAH! Well, now you're paying the price, and you can wait with all the other sheep.
    I bet they're the same people who sit in traffic like suckers, while I use the bus lanes after 7pm.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to people who are only coming of eligible licence age.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by herbie747
    On a similar note: People are so dumb. Why would you want to sit a test for your provisional, when you could have just sent off for one 2 years ago - no questions asked?? DUH!! I got mine when I was 17 - never drove on it, then by the time I was insured (19), I had my 2nd provisional, and could drive on my own (without a licenced driver in the car). Common sense.

The reason there is such a big wait for the test nowadays, is because people are stupid (and suckers) - plain & simple. There was only a 5-week wait 2 years ago when my mate & girlfriend (twice) did theirs. Now all the suckers are rushing to get their test because of the new provisional licence restrictions.
    I'm glad these people have to wait - serves them right for being too dumb to sort it out while they had the chance. Why didn't they apply 2 years ago when there was no waiting list? HAH! Well, now you're paying the price, and you can wait with all the other sheep.
    I bet they're the same people who sit in traffic like suckers, while I use the bus lanes after 7pm.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to people who are only coming of eligible licence age.....
    You've already contradicted yourself in your own post. The majority of people who are sitting the theory test are those who are either coming of age, or who are getting a licence for a different category of vehicle. There is currently no major waiting list for the theory test. Besides, if you had an respect for the whole traffic situation, you would have waited until you were actually going to be driving before getting a provisional (but that's not to be debated here ;)).

September 2 years ago, I had to wait 13 weeks for a car test in Tallaght, so the congestion was bad before people panicked. The current situation has only lead to a pain in the ass for people, like me, who aren't trying to secure a test so they're not kicked off the roads...
    When I first got my provisional for the bike, the list was at something like 4 months, so I didn't want to apply, since I knew I probably wouldn't be ready to sit a test in 4 months. I applied last January (at which point it had only swollen slightly to 5 months), and my test date is 53 weeks later.

You can't blame people for the situation. When Brennan said "GO DO YOUR TEST NOW, OR YOUR CAR IS GONE!!11!!", he should have had the common sense foresight to improve the testing situation to cope.

(BTW, there are no new prov. licence restrictions....)

You've already contradicted yourself in your own post. The majority of people who are sitting the theory test are those who are either coming of age, or who are getting a licence for a different category of vehicle. There is currently no major waiting list for the theory test. Besides, if you had an respect for the whole traffic situation, you would have waited until you were actually going to be driving before getting a provisional (but that's not to be debated here ).

I didn't contradict myself: I NEVER said there was a waiting list for the provisional test - I just said that the people who have to do one at all are suckers - namely those who could have sent off for a licence 2 years ago.
    What has me getting my provisional licence when I was 17 got to do with having a "respect for the whole traffic situation"? Eh, I didn't drive with it. I just used it as ID, and then sent off for my 2nd one 2-years later. Nothing to do with traffic. You're allowed to have a licence and not drive on it.

September 2 years ago, I had to wait 13 weeks for a car test in Tallaght, so the congestion was bad before people panicked.
    But it wasn't as bad as the 53-week wait now (looks like you're contradicting yourself: how can you say 13 weeks is bad, when it's 53 weeks now??) - which is my point; people should have done their test in 2001, if they were eligible. My girlfriend waited 5 weeks for her test in Raheny in late 2001.

You can't blame people for the situation.
    I couldn't care less about the situation, as it doesn't affect me. But PEOPLE should stop moaning, because if they had done their test a few years ago, instead of driving on a provisional licence for 5 years, they wouldn't have such a backlog now!

My point again: They are suckers for not doing their test earlier, so let them wait.
    "GO DO YOUR TEST NOW, OR YOUR CAR IS GONE!!11!!"
    And that's the restriction I'm talking about....you said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

Yeah they have really screwed us over (us being the people who have just got a provisional and are trying to get a full liscence to bring insurance down and to be able to drive in other countries and such).

Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't contradict myself:
    Of course you did. You implied that anyone doing a theory test now, when they didn't have to, are idiots, when in fact the majority of people doing it are those who couldn't, or who didn't need to have a licence back then...
    What has me getting my provisional licence when I was 17 got to do with having a "respect for the whole traffic situation"? Eh, I didn't drive with it. I just used it as ID, and then sent off for my 2nd one 2-years later. Nothing to do with traffic. You're allowed to have a licence and not drive on it.
    And that's the problem, you shouldn't be allowed get a provisional unless you intend to use it. My comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously...
    But it wasn't as bad as the 53-week wait now (looks like you're contradicting yourself: how can you say 13 weeks is bad, when it's 53 weeks now??) - which is my point; people should have done their test in 2001, if they were eligible. My girlfriend waited 5 weeks for her test in Raheny in late 2001.
    13 weeks is atrocious, 53 weeks is a farce...how did I contradict myself? My point is the entire system is fvcked, not the people who use it. People shouldn't have to apply for a test just to 'get on the ladder' or 'to beat the rush', they should be able to apply, and get a test, when they're ready.
    I couldn't care less about the situation, as it doesn't affect me. But PEOPLE should stop moaning, because if they had done their test a few years ago, instead of driving on a provisional licence for 5 years, they wouldn't have such a backlog now!
    If you followed the whole thing, you'd have read that people on a provisional for 5+ years make up a minority of provisional drivers on the road. Therefore, most of the people who've applied for tests are those who are still well safe from getting kicked off the road, but applied because Brennan forced a panic, without explaining his plans adequately.
    And that's the restriction I'm talking about....you said it.
    It's not new though....he's only talking about enforcing a law that's existed for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

People shouldn't have to apply for a test just to 'get on the ladder' or 'to beat the rush', they should be able to apply, and get a test, when they're ready.

Well Said. The whole purpose of receiving a provisional license is so a person can learn to drive. Then apply for the test when he/she feels confident that they will be able to pass the bloody thing. The way it is now people nearly have to apply for the test before they even apply for the stupid license. I got my provisional in March and applied for the test in May. Still waiting
    Posted by Herbie747

But PEOPLE should stop moaning, because if they had done their test a few years ago, instead of driving on a provisional license for 5 years, they wouldn't have such a backlog now!

Well mister I knew it all when I was seventeen. If PEOPLE shouldn't drive for five years on a provisional, why did you, so wise and knowing, have a provisional license for 2 years and not drive on it at all? Pretty expensive ID if you ask me.

And it also sounds like you think everyone should apply for there provisional license when there 17. Well I'm 24 now and I only applied for my provisional last year, Why? Because I was doing my Leaving when I was 17. Was in college, away from home for 4 years. There fore if I had applied for my provisional license when I was 17 I would now have to apply for a test and I would have absolutely no driving experience. That would have been a great Idea.

You see just because it may have been convenient for you to apply for your license when you were 17, for a lot of PEOPLE it isn't.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    Well mister I knew it all when I was seventeen. If PEOPLE shouldn't drive for five years on a provisional, why did you, so wise and knowing, have a provisional license for 2 years and not drive on it at all? Pretty expensive ID if you ask me.

It only cost £30, and did me for 2 years; not quite THAT expensive unless you're a bum.

I did actually get lessons with the licence (about 5, I think), although I never drove myself with it. People can drive for as long as they want on a provisional for all I care (even though their insurance is higher - DUH!), but then when they all rush to get their test at the same time, they can only blame themselves for the long wait. Why didn't they do their test during the first 2 years driving? Then there would be a nice regular flow to the whole test process.

But then when I did get insured, I was already on my 2nd provisional and didn't need a licenced driver in the car. Don't blame me for being smarter than the sheep, and not having to wait for a year for a test. I was born with this incredible logic and I strive not to be a sucker who waits in queues. I actually haven't waited in any type of queue since May 2000 - proper planning, and predicting what the sheep will do, and avoiding rush hour ensures I don't have to associate with common vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Herbie747
    It only cost £30, and did me for 2 years; not quite THAT expensive unless you're a bum.

As I said a pretty expensive ID.
    Posted by Herbie747
    Eh, I didn't drive with it. I just used it as ID, and then sent off for my 2nd one 2-years later. Nothing to do with traffic. You're allowed to have a licence and not drive on it.
    Posted by Herbie747
    I did actually get lessons with the licence (about 5, I think),

For a person that was born with such incredible logic you do a great job of contradicting yourself.

Don't blame me for being smarter than the sheep

Well Herbie, Unless you were able to predict the future when you were 17, I very much doubt that the reason you applied for your prov licence was to avoid the rush.
    either way I don't think any one reading this thread will blame you for being smart. ;)

I wouldn't call that contradicting myself: I got a few lessons with the licence - in the instructors car, but I never used it to drive myself. I was never insured on a car, or owned a car while I had my 1st provisional.

Advertisement