Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If "...And Justice For All" had bass...

• 27-12-2003 12:03am
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is what it would sound like...

http://www.hagmanation.nu/ajfj/jason.html

Sounds alright, but the bass is a little bit too loud in some parts...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I like "...And justice for all" as it is. Its one of my fave albums ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

yeah i reckon bass should be just a background instrument, i hate bass solos, they sound corny(not in the good way), i hate anestesia(or whatever) on kill 'em all(very boring album), play guitar already cliff.
    with the exception of Paul McCartney and Stanley Clarke and the boys and 80s style bass, like in the intros/chase scenes to 70/80s movies, bass should be just for constructing sensible bass lines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I'd hardly call it boring, though Anaesthesia wouldn't be my favourite track.

AJFA is definitely one of the best albums ever, it's just a pity that there wasn't a bit more bass.

And as for bass solos and the like, I mean Orion is a kick ass instrumental, and the bass solo is cool - as is the one in Ktulu.

I saw a bass solo Cliff did live(on telly),like an intro, to "for whom the bell tolls". Twas F*ckin deadly. He's a cool guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by colincarnate
    yeah i reckon bass should be just a background instrument, i hate bass solos, they sound corny....bass should be just for constructing sensible bass lines...
    guitar player:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In fairness, ...And Justice for All is a really poor album production wise. The guitars sound terrible, the drums are too loud and you can't hear the bass. You really need the bass, to have a good sound in a metal band.

Honestly,i think the drums sound perfect on the album. Its absolutely amazing the way you can hear the Kick-bass on One. It just sounds deadly. And i know the production is very bad,but i love every song on the album.

listen dudes would yis relax with your 'production' cracks there now, janey? it sounds bleedin' grand already, yous really take the fun out of listening to an album, imagine running home to play some album you've been waiting for, for ages(Chinese Democracy) and then palming your chin and saying in a self righteous tone 'nah the production values are...' - STOP! relax
    as for the bass, i'm not a fan as you know, i have one in fact and is great to doodle on but i gave up learning it as the bass i like is for monkeys

(standing in queue in hmv for some album): 'I hope the bass and the production values are one of the best going here now...'
    (me behind you in the queue): Shut up!

haha ah i'm only kidding you guys are alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Yeah this is a bit blown out of proportion. The album still sounds great today which is a great compliment from something that came out over a decade ago shortly after one of the band's members died.

That itself, and the fact it was a kick-ass album, is a hell of an accomplishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I don't think that anyone's disagreeing that it's a flippin fantastic record, just that it would have been even sweeter with better production.

The added bass is really effective in One - it always really stood out in live versions after listening to the album version. It reallys sounds 'added' in most of the other tracks though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    I don't think that anyone's disagreeing that it's a flippin fantastic record, just that it would have been even sweeter with better production.

The added bass is really effective in One - it always really stood out in live versions after listening to the album version. It reallys sounds 'added' in most of the other tracks though.
    Exactly what I was saying.

The double bass on One sounds really cool I agree, but it really is emphasized by the guitar riff in that part of the song. But the drums still are too loud on the album. You would still be able to hear the double bass if they were turned down a little.

My point is, it is a really good album. But it would have been alot better if the production was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

AJFA is a class album, i love it, but i seriously think it would have benefited from a better bass sound. Well..if lar's cymbals hadnt sounded like shopping trolleys banging together that wouldve helped too. And if he was dave lombardo from slayer and not lars ulrich. Anywho..
    Good metal albums need bass, its not just a background instrument. If its played/produced right, it can be as important as any guitar. Just imagine a few great rock/metal albums without bass. Would nirvana have made i as a two piece?? If deadsy had no bassist they wouldnt have a band!! Maybe you dont get 12 bar bass solos on every metal album, but that doesnt mean its not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Was doing a similar thing at home meself, just cos it sounds crap without any low end. It's such a shame, Newsted is a class player and he played some great stuff on that album before Metallica's "crap" period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

i think it sounds much better :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by colincarnate
    (standing in queue in hmv for some album): 'I hope the bass and the production values are one of the best going here now...'
    (me behind you in the queue): Shut up!
    Ah so that was you:D

yep.

i like over-produced november rain style songs and intros on And Justice for All which can't be done live, none of this garage raw minimalist stuff :)

Advertisement