Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy 100

Options
  • 27-12-2003 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

heya!
    for those of us who were stuck entertaining little old relatives today and missed most of the heavy 100 list, will you be putting the list anywhere on the website?
    cheers!

i'm so glad that grace was the number one album. it was my number one - i just cant get enough of that album. perfection!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I was actually quite surprised by the results. First of all, from listening to the various DJs reading out texts, it seemeds that loads and loads of people had voted for Sergeant Peppers Lonely....., so I was quite surprised when that finished in ninth place. Also, I thought Siamese Dream would definetly be in the top ten, but it was only number sixteen. Not that I can complain, I didn't vote for it. And when I heard that nevermind was number three, I was certain that it would go to OK Computer. I had completely forgotten about Grace!

But I wasn't dissapointed by the results, except to see Damien Rice finish in number seven. I didn't agree with that one at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Overall, I thought the chart was fairly good. I think it included a good variety of albums and included most of what should have been included.

But I was quite surprised and a little disappointed with the top 10. I really don't think there should be 2 radiohead albums in the top 4 of any chart, especially not the greatest albums of all time. And, in fairness, Jeff Buckley - come on!!! I really don't think 'Grace' is the best album ever made. Now, it's a good album, maybe even a great album. And I wouldn't complain if it was number 10 or maybe even number 5, but number 1 is overdoing it in my opinion. Nevermind was always going to be in there, and I think if only for what it did to music it should be top 3. I think Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band should have been number 1, and I was surprised it finished so poorly by its own standards. And, what I was most disappointed about was the lack of a Led Zeppelin album in, I think anyway, the top 30. I would have put 'Led Zeppelin III' as my number 2 and 'Led Zeppelin IV' somewhere in the top 10. And I was also disappointed by the lack of a Ramones album in the chart at all.

But, other than my pointless rantings, coudos on a very well made chart. Coudos.

One final thought, where was Michael Jackson!?!?!?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

was where he belonged,in never never land

what a tosser.........:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi! The complete Heavy 100 Albums listing is now online on phantomfm.com. Just click on the link below!

http://www.phantomfm.com/resources/heavy100.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 My Name IsJonas

It's a pity Jeff Buckley's no 1, cos he's not a brilliant songwriter. Sure he sang Hallelujah nicely but he never made the best album ever. If he was still alive today he'd probably be bald and making crap, but singing it nicely no doubt.

Whats with Led Zeppelin being spelt wrong?? And hang on Jeff Buckley is no 1 and Damien Rice and him are better than The Beatles??

I would have though the Frames would have been higher than 50 though.

Here is some food for Buckley fanatics...... bite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ciaran 0

Pinkerton no where to be seen.

Crazy internet voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

No whipping boy ,at the drive in or joy division:(
    Bell X1 - Music In Mouth at no 20 i like bell x1 but not nearly the 20th best of all time
    Damien Rice - O again not bad but no7 it wasnt even the 7th best the year it was released yet alone of all time.
    Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material at 99 it much better than that
    The Clash - The Clash 79 far better than that
    I could go on about albums I thought deserved better but I would be here all day.
    Its on votes so I cant complain too much as the great philosopher homer simpson once said "when are people going to learn democracy doesnt work"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Not impressed to be perfectly honest.
    The voting was quite predictable, I'd like to know what the average age of the voters was as I'd say that had a bit to do with it.

*shrug*

Ah well. it wouldn't do for us to be pleasantly surprised by people every now and then, we might grow accustomed to it and expect it too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

No 72 Manic Street Preachers - Street Terrorists, I thought I had all their albums but apparently not. I love being a smart arse :D

Not a bad 100 at all great to see Therapy up so high in the chart but as with most things its all down to personal opinions. As for Damien Rice, Mic Christopher and Bell end 1 if you have the chart in 10 years I doubt they'll figure at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

yeah puttin damien rice in at number 7... a bit strange alright. the guy's decent, and has got all in with the pop culture recently, but MAN that's nowhere near the seventh best album ever..
    all in all though, i think it was pretty good, like, in all fairness if it wasn't a phantom thing, if it was any other radio station or media outlet, there would've been the obvious ones, like the beatles, but the would've been **** like 'Robbie Williams sings 1980s disco songs' popping up places too...
    you can't really win, but the heavy 100 came close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well, it's good to hear the various opinions! The Heavy 100 was compiled from your votes and, yes, democracy can yield some interesting results! This is the first time that we have put together a poll like this and we hope to do it on at least an annual basis. I suppose that this one bucked the trend in that the usual suspects weren't in the number one position. Also, unlike the polls you see in Q , the top 10 wasn't dominated by more recent releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

The results may not have appealed to everyone, but I think it helps to remember that this is not touted as being the definitive, set in stone "Greatest Albums of All Time" - rather it is the albums that mean the most to, and are the most beloved by, the Phantom audience *at the moment*.

As for Sgt. Pepper, surely a wonderful album, but there are lot of people who will never have owned it, or listened to it through, or maybe they have, but it doesn't carry the same emotional impact for them as it would for someone ten years older.

15 years ago no such poll would have been broadcast without Dire Straits being in the top 10 more than once - as their albums were the romantic mood music for couples of that era (cf. Douglas Adams).

At least the poll was genuinely democratic - it didn't reflect the station management or DJ opinion, just that of those who wanted to vote.

And as for grace, well, if I was ever going away for good and needed one album to remind me of my time with Phantom, that would be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

haha, theres nothing more entertaining than listening to people rant about the results of a poll like this. everyone wants the poll to reflect their taste and their taste alone.

go make your own Top 100, then type it up, stick it on your wall and stare at it in self-gratifying bliss.

but my question is why "Are You Experienced?" is at 65 and 45?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Sorry about the typo's and stuff on the Heavy 100. All very tired after that long session. Good help is hard to find nowadays...

All fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

go make your own Top 100, then type it up, stick it on your wall and stare at it in self-gratifying bliss.

-thanks for the advice, I think i'll do that :p

What are forums for but expressing your opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

.... what in the hell??
    Bell X 1???
    Mic Christopher???
    Damien Rice???
    Turn???

I despair I really do...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Damn I totally got the wrong end of the stick. I thought it was a 'Heavy' 100, so voted accordingly. It shouldve been called a Phantom 100 or summat. Now everyone thinks that is the definitive 100 of ahem...heavy music.

Wish i'd have known I wouldve voted for charlotte church. Just to be awkward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

Originally posted by Steve Conway

As for Sgt. Pepper, it doesn't carry the same emotional impact for them as it would for someone ten years older.
    give people who haven't been alive for a particularly long time some credit, man. i think that most sound minded folk would have to admit it's a pretty feckin powerful record, regardless of age (either of record or listener.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zappa

6)Troublegum
    1)grace
    9)surfer rosa
    5)doolitle
    18)blood on the tracks
    11)London Calling
    23)RATM
    25)Blood sugar sex magik
    26)pet sounds
    28)ten
    33)elephant
    31)weezer
    35)the queen is dead
    36)live and dangerous
    37)Back in Black
    39)ziggy
    40)Never mind the ollocks
    45)Are you experinced?
    49)Mellon Collie
    97)Mezzanine
    Hell you guys have got serious taste........
    keep it up lads

Advertisement