Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uninstall win xp

Options
  • 27-12-2003 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

hey,
    im sick of win xp pro, and want to return to win 2k, but xp tells me i cannot uninstall and revert back to 2k, is there any way round this? any help much apriciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

back up your documents
    format your hard drive
    reinstall win2k

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have you changed EVERYTHING to classic view ??

Unless I'm mistaken you can't go back easily - you're most likely looking at a reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yeah do as Cr3m0 says

& make sure you have the full install version of 2K Pro not the update.....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

ye, partioned my drive and put all my docs and stuff there and wiped her down, running grand now. thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Just out of curiosity. Why do you want to downgrade back to 2k from Xp? I upgraded this machine to XP [Pro] from 2K [Pro] and never looked back really. Am tempted to upgrade the other box but that cant handle it at the moment.

• Advertisement

xp eats all my memory, slows down the pc, frequently crashes, should i go on???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

XP is built upon NT so should be as stable as 2k. If it eats up memory you dont have enough memory period. Ive 768mb and another 256mb to stick in. Unless you have 128mb ram XP will be smooth. I find it crashes as often as all other Windows OS's.

You might just not have it correctly setup for your performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Using XP Pro for about 2-3 months, yet to crash on me once. Excluding of course, Steam (used to crash entire system). Been running perfectly for the last while tho.

i have a gig and a half of ram...still crashes, xp may be built upon nt technology, but its not as stable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Xp hasnt xrashed on me for 6 + months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by dbfarrell
    i have a gig and a half of ram...still crashes, xp may be built upon nt technology, but its not as stable!!!

I'd say there is something wrong with either your s/w configuration or with your h/w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I downgraded my machine aswell from xp pro to 2000 pro sp4 recently.

The reasons are that I find w2k more reactive when browsing the network, also feel more in control of the OS settings, with xp I really disliked the installations assistants that takes you for a morron and the star for the favorites in IE =)

And also because w2k need less ressources and is probably a bit better patched.

On the downside I must admit xp is faster to boot... among other things.

Advertisement