Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eXpansys Irish site

Options
  • 27-12-2003 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

in case no one noticed

http://www.expansys.ie/ prices in Euro dollars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Interesting...
    Originally posted by ondafly
    prices in Euro dollars
    They're just Euros. Not dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i wonder what exchange rate they are using that currently makes a P900 (ex VAT) on expansys.com STG 442.51 convert to Eur 708.46 on expansys.ie (xe.com converts it at Eur 630.98)...

good to see better shipping prices... although what is the story with the VAT - it disappears at checkout - are they expecting everyone to cough up to the courier when the goods are delivered?

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

i think becasue expansys is a UK company you wont be charged vat when it comes to ireland from the courrier. only from outside the EU. handy that. great place to have the site. handy for getting new gear! hmmm. 7650 looking quite old now. need a new phone... [update] after looking at the site and finding what i was looking for, im now wondering how they manage that. now i know what you mean fully by the vat thing. it may just be a billing problem on there part that could be fixed after christmas, or it could be a major cock up where you are charged vat from the courier, but i dont think that could happen. all items, i think, are shipped from the UK so they dont get vat checked that way. i could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If i order through the .ie site, would they still demand i fax credit card and id info to them? I've already mailed their customer support but they wont be in until monday.

Originally posted by lotas
    [update] after looking at the site and finding what i was looking for, im now wondering how they manage that. now i know what you mean fully by the vat thing.

yeah - VAT always applied when ordering from the UK .com store (unless you had VAT registration details) so don't know why they wouldn't apply it on the .ie site checkout page?

they don't have the VAT applied on the French site checkout page, but they do on the German one...

Originally posted by Moriarty

If i order through the .ie site, would they still demand i fax credit card and id info to them?

if you haven't ordered from them previously then i expect so - the .ie checkout page says: "New customers may be asked to provide proof of identification" - once you've ordered and provided the info previously (and the goods are shipping to the billing address) they usually just process the order without asking for the info again... (that's what the "Have you used us before?:" box is for on the checkout page)

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Interesting...

quote:
    Originally posted by ondafly
    prices in Euro dollars

They're just Euros. Not dollars.

No Corinthian - They are euro - there is no s.

See European Central Bank .

/me mumbles, god damn foreigners...

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Originally posted by tribble
    No Corinthian - They are euro - there is no s.

See European Central Bank .
    see all the threads on this subject where it's shown that he's right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

ah priceless :)

Originally posted by DubWireless
    VAT always applied when ordering from the UK .com store (unless you had VAT registration details) so don't know why they wouldn't apply it on the .ie site checkout page?

they have now updated the checkout page to include 21% VAT, and the option of adding your VAT No. to have this removed if applicable

BrianG

ok so now the VAT situation is sorted out, they also answered that the Euro (or Euros ;)) value on the expansys.ie site was what would be billed to the card (not the sterling amount)
    eXpanays customer service
    The prices are in euros and will be charged in euros that is on the irish website.

so why would i want to order e.g. a P900 from the eXpansys Irish site currently Eur. 864.50, when i could order it from the eXpansys UK site for delivery to Ireland for STG 548.15 at approx Eur 780.350 (on XE.com)...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Yeah I dunno why anyone would use the Irish expansys site when the uk one is cheaper. I did a few comparisons, eg for the P900 and the Nokia 6600, between www.expansys.ie and www.mobilefun.co.uk and mobilefun was a LOT cheaper every time. Again, using xe.com.

Anyone who's intersted:
    nokia 6600 in grey, expansys.co.uk for £339.95
    nokia 6600 in rose, expansys.co.uk for £386.58
    nokia 6600 in grey, expansys.ie for £392.99 (used xe.com to convert €560)
    nokia 6600 in grey, mobilefun.co.uk for £329.95

Don't know why the Rose coloured one on expansys.co.uk costs so much more, is pink really that valuable? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think this is taking Rip-Off Ireland to a new level.

Foriegn companies can see how much Irish consumers are screwed and are now getting in on the act.

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

What is worrying is the possibility that expansys.co.uk will stop taking orders from Irish customers on their UK site and refer them to the expansys.ie site instead. At least at the moment its possible for consumers who are aware of the price differences to make a saving, but what if this choice is taken away?

Hopefully we won't see too many UK companies creating Irish mirror sites with inflated prices. Its unfortunate to think of all the unsuspecting consumers out there who will use the expansys.ie site and think they're actually making a saving by using an Irish site over a UK one...

ok, after a few weeks I got a reply re the UK vs. Irish site pricing difference, they have decided:
    to standardise EU prices so the Irish web will match up to the French website

but said it is ok to order from the UK site, but mentioned highlighting that you'd want to be billed in GBP in the Notes when making an order(?)
    If you want to order off the uk website and be billed in pounds just make a note at the bottom of the order

ok - so with the current exchange rate situation - looks like if you are better off buying any high value items / orders off the UK site, the Irish site would be better for any lower value items / orders due to the lower shipping cost (and smaller exchange rate impact)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by DubWireless
    ok - so with the current exchange rate situation - looks like if you are better off buying any high value items / orders off the UK site
    When you're running the numbers, don't forget that on your credit card transaction you probably won't get the 'interbank' exchange rate you see on xe.com. The rate you get will be a cent or two worse - I've seen it as bad as five cents, it's what they call 'hedging'. On top of that most cards will charge an additional currency conversion commission - on my card it's 1.75%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by longword
    When you're running the numbers, don't forget that on your credit card transaction you probably won't get the 'interbank' exchange rate you see on xe.com. The rate you get will be a cent or two worse - I've seen it as bad as five cents, it's what they call 'hedging'. On top of that most cards will charge an additional currency conversion commission - on my card it's 1.75%.

Still that doesn't account the large difference in price does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Still that doesn't account the large difference in price does it?
    That doesn't account for /any/ of the difference in price. Just something to bear in mind when choosing which site to order from.

Originally posted by longword
    When you're running the numbers, don't forget that on your credit card transaction you probably won't get the 'interbank' exchange rate you see on xe.com.

yup - you definately won't get the exact exchange rate - but i find xe.com a handy guide... and saves calling the bank and working it out ;)

if the price difference was small for the higher value items then i wouldn't have any issue - but it's not - hence the problem :(

BrianG

Advertisement