Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding an xbox?

Options
  • 27-12-2003 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

I was told that its impossible to change the hard drive on an xbox fora bigger one, becasue there is software that the HDD has installed on it to make sure you use the 6gig.

Would it not be possible to ghost the harddrive onto a bigger one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It is possible but you need to have a modchip installed. Mixie's link probably explains it, i haven't looked at it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ive a 20gb in mine. A friend has a 120gb in his.
    Youll find plenty of more info about what you can do here - www.xbox-scene.org check the tutorials section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

also

is there any codecs i can download that will allow me to view mpegs and what not?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah you can get divx players and the like for modded xboxes, dunno anything more about them though.

• Advertisement

i dont wanna mod my xbox, cos i wanna use it online :o

Any software that will work?

Any mediaplayers i can dl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Xbox Media Player is an excellent media player for it, plays divx's, mpegs, xvids etc...

<edit> You need to mod it though. There is currently no software that you can use on a non modded xbox to play divx's.

right, so if i mod my xbox i can still go online?

get on irc snaga :P

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

AFAIR there's a switchable mod chip which would allow you to play online, but if you were to go online even once with the chip enabled you'd never be able to go online again. I don't know the situation with replaced HDs - if you need the modchip enabled at all times for example, then you wouldn't be able to play online irregardless of your modchip having a switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

get an xcuter 2.2 lite chip. easy to install and has a switch. if you you need to use xbox live, just switch it off and you will be able to use the ms dashboard and xbox live. otherwise, while the chip is switched on, you will use the different dashboard which enable you to use the media players to watch your movies, play your mp3s, run the GBA emulator, that sort of thing. go with the slayer's installation cd. its very easy.

you can also play xbox online games for free bypassing xbox live and using various services offered free on the net. the basic premise of all these are that it makes the xbox think you're playing over the LAN. you need to hook the xbox to the PC via crossover cable and run the tunneling software. i havent tried it myself yet and not sure whats the legality of it on these boards. ill list off a few sites and if the mods of the board think its a no-no, ill remove them.

http://www.xbconnect.com/
    http://www.xboxlink.co.uk/

adnans

• Advertisement
Advertisement