Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor giving off high-pitched noise

• 28-12-2003 5:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Whenever I play games in 800x600, my monitor gives off a really high-pitched sound. It goes away eventually but is pretty damn annoying. Doesn't happen in other resolutions. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Thats your tracking mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

your monitor is probably using a refresh rate at 800x600 that its uncapable of using in any higher resolutions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by oeNeo
    Hello,

Whenever I play games in 800x600, my monitor gives off a really high-pitched sound. It goes away eventually but is pretty damn annoying. Doesn't happen in other resolutions. Any ideas?

Umm could be you are using too high a resolution or more likely a refresh rate on the monitor. Unfortunately it can also occur just before a monitor fails in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

don't panic though! i have a monitor that squeaks in certain refresh rates too, it's still going fine. doesn't neccisarily mean it's on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

As Practical said in irc, I think it's only started happening after I've used a refresh rate fix (I'm using XP). Anyone suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

what does it mean if the monitor is tripping the trip switch in the house when you turn it on sometimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    what does it mean if the monitor is tripping the trip switch in the house when you turn it on sometimes?

It doesn't want to be turned on?:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky191

It could be a problem either with the fuse in the fuse box or the wiring. But its likely to be a electrical problem with the monitor triggering the fuse. I'd get the monitor checked out if I was you. I wouldn't ignore it.

the fuse box is ancient i have to say but i think its the monitor also i was just going to ignore it, i have another i can use if i bother to hook it up

apologies for off topic, cheers

data

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Usually the refresh rate is too high, reducing it to 60hz should alleviate the problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

The sudden surge of power drawn by the monitor (especially big 'ole crt types) can stretch the fuse or circuit braker beyond it's limits, this can happen easily if the outlet is already overloaded. plug less stuff in or get an electrician to fit a righer rating fuse/elcb.... (*rather expensive)

The monitor is unlikly to be at fault in that instance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Originally posted by oeNeo
    Hello,

that means cs is for muppets!

thanks ferror there probably is two much been drawn all of sudden when i switch on the computer, monitor and speakers what i've been doing is just switching on the monitor on its own first.

with regards to the refresh rate it seems my monitor only support 60Hz at 1024*768 anyway so thats what i'm running at.

You should really be running at over 72mhz to save your eyes if its a CRT monitor.

hmm then i'd have to lower the resolution maybe i will hook up that 17" monitor i have lying around.

No offense but I think my watch has a better refresh than that monitor. Its really time to get a better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by Ferror
    Usually the refresh rate is too high, reducing it to 60hz should alleviate the problem...

60 kills my eyes. It's odd though, why does it work fine at all other resolutions but not 800x600? I've reduced the refresh rate from 85 to 75 and I think it's worked. Thanks for the replies.

yeah ricardo its a bog standard 15" fujitsu that came with the computer it does up to 85Hz i think at 800*600, i used to use this resolution but recentlys switched to 1024*768 i have an old 17" dell knocking around but its fairly bulky and minging looking so i stuck with the 15" i think its on the way out anyway i can sometimes see lines going down the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky191

I've a few monitors around here I'll see what res they can do. If any of them are decent you can have it. Some of them are need of repair though.

cheers sparky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

It's definately just the refresh rate being too low, almost all TVs are at 60Hz and I hear most of them. Pain in the ass. Another reason to hate TV :)

I had a CRT once that made different audible whinings at different refresh rates. I found smacking it lightly a few times usually made it stop - for a while. I sold it. The buyer couldn't hear it, so we're both happy. :D

Advertisement