Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting out of bband contract?

• 28-12-2003 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi,

just wondering if anyone has tried or been able to get out of a 12 month contract for broadband? i'm with clicksilver since june and to sum it up its a nightmare and i want out. i would have been canceling around august 2004 anyway as i'm moving to oz so i was thinking bout just telling em its sooner.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

just stop paying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

yup simple as that. if u stop paying then will cut u off , which is what u want anyway.
    dunno if they can claim the 12 month fee thought from you. read the terms and conditions for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write them a formal letter saying that they have to bring their performance up to specification within 14 days or you will be taking them to the small claims court and / or will be taking your business elsewhere. Send by registered mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Fake your own death. That'll get you out of any contract.

Or else just do as Victor suggested. If the service is really **** and you've given them plenty of warning and a fair amount of time to try sort it out, then they'd have a very hard time forcing the money out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

i like the fake my death approach.....might give it a whirl...any1 know where i could get a body and a dentist to make the corpse's dental records match mine? worked for arnie in eraser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

further to that last post i got a possible scenario.

Phase1:
    i look out for a guy bout my size and height then execute him with a blue plastic bag (thank u rockstar games).throw body in boot of car.

Phase2:
    drive about like a maniac till get pulled by the cops.once in back of squad car i mace the cops with de-icer fluid (thank u dean koontz) till they loose control of the car and i jump at the last second.

Phase3:
    i dump the body (having replaced its id with mine) in the wrecked cop car.

Phase4:
    pretend 2 be injured and get a car 2 stop.mace the driver and put him in the boot.drive 2 airport.

Phase5:
    leave car in long term and buy a 1 way to oz with credit card stolen from guy in the boot.

whatcha reckon?
    any better plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by jackbauer
    further to that last post i got a possible scenario.

Phase1:
    i look out for a guy bout my size and height then execute him with a blue plastic bag (thank u rockstar games).throw body in boot of car.

Phase2:
    drive about like a maniac till get pulled by the cops.once in back of squad car i mace the cops with de-icer fluid (thank u dean koontz) till they loose control of the car and i jump at the last second.

Phase3:
    i dump the body (having replaced its id with mine) in the wrecked cop car.

Phase4:
    pretend 2 be injured and get a car 2 stop.mace the driver and put him in the boot.drive 2 airport.

Phase5:
    leave car in long term and buy a 1 way to oz with credit card stolen from guy in the boot.

whatcha reckon?
    any better plans?

I think you are seriously distrubed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

lads keep it together for gods sake, this is a serious issue

anyway...

maybe you could say you want to move it to your new address, (guessing they will move your connection for a small charge) then set it up for some mates who is willing to pay for it or you could kill your mate, get a dentist to change his dental records ect,ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by mukki
    (guessing they will move your connection for a small charge)

€150 + one extra months rental + charges for getting a new phone line installed is not what id call a small charge...

If the line youre moving the connection to doesnt pass for dsl you have to buy out the remainder of the contract; something which could prove to be majorly expensive. Better off just faking your own death.

(at least I think it's €150...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I got out of an eircom contract by telling them I was going away for 6 months. I would try that first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    I got out of an eircom contract by telling them I was going away for 6 months. I would try that first.

They can legally FORCE you to buy out your contract, also if you just simple stop paying they can get you marked for not paying bills which is obviously not good in the long run when you want to get a loan from a bank etc

Originally posted by Cabaal
    They can legally FORCE you to buy out your contract, also if you just simple stop paying they can get you marked for not paying bills which is obviously not good in the long run when you want to get a loan from a bank etc

Yes they can force you to pay up for the remaining months, however they have to obtain a court judgement to affect your credit rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

and how hard would that be to get if they have proof that you stopped paying?

Would take them a min of 4 months to secure a judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

I think the faking death or improve or I will leave approach is better than doing a runner.

They will no doubt either register a judgement against you or mess your credit rating up. No probs when your surfing in OZ but when you come back (?), credit cards, mortgages etc. BIG problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Yes they can force you to pay up for the remaining months, however they have to obtain a court judgement to affect your credit rating.

THat's not true, if you default on a loan payment it goes on your credit rating without anything being brought to court. However, I doubt a company like UTV has any ability to affect your credit rating, as they're not a financial institution. I mean, you can join a gym and then cancel your direct debits and ignore them, there's no way they can affect your credit rating :-)
    But if you just tell UTV you're unhappy with the service they'll probably let you out of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

I don't know about the UTV contract, but the IOLBB one had some term that allowed them to report how your account is operated to agencies etc.

No they cant do so. They are not financial institutions ie banks. Only banks are members of credit reference agencies. Its just big talk to scare the public.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by eth0_
    But if you just tell UTV you're unhappy with the service they'll probably let you out of the contract.

hmm don't know about that, most ISP's wouldn't just let you out of a contract left, right and center like that.
    If there providing your DSL line and it works and there's no faults then there furfilling there part of there contract, thus no reason to cancel.

Now if there faults on the line and there a ongoing issue then obviously there is a good reason for a cancel.
    UTV/IOL still gota pay EirCON to enable/cease the line and even fix and issues (Eng call outs etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Just wondering jackbauer, do u really want to go to all this trouble (faking your own death) to get out of the contract. Why exactly has it been such a "nightmare"? Is it a nightmare that could be solved without ending the contract?

Well i suppose the bigger the nightmare, the greater grounds you have for ending the contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement