Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zone alarm for newbies?

• 28-12-2003 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

An older relative has Zone Alarm on his PC, but hes forever screwing with the PC and messing up his internet connection mainly due to clicking blindly on Zone Alarms prompts. Whats a better way to protect his PC and keep it secure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 X4

either upgrade or uninstall it

then a re-installation will have all settings reconfigured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The problem is not that the original settings are lost but that he keeps reconfiguring it when the prompts appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Then set it up so the alert warnings dont appear, lets face it they are of little interest most of the time...click the Alerts and Logs and select OFF.

Then tell him not to mess with it ever again! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky191

Originally posted by mike65
    Then set it up so the alert warnings dont appear, lets face it they are of little interest most of the time...click the Alerts and Logs and select OFF.

Then tell him not to mess with it ever again! :D

Mike.

Like most users he doesn't listen. I've been telling him till I'm blue in the face. What I want now is some bullet proof way to keep it on the net, but secure from attack and protected, so that he can't muck about with it. I suppose I'm looking at setting up a user account without admin rights etc. In any corporate enviroment I've done this its been accepted that locking out users from admin rights breaks lots of websites. With a home PC thats a little harder to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I think ZA Pro has a password facility, you could lock him out with that.
    As has already been suggested - kill the alerts, and just have it working away silently.
    While you're there, run every program that might access the net (iexplore, realplayer, wmplayer yadda yadda) and set the permissions for it there and then with the "always use this setting blah blah".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    I think ZA Pro has a password facility, you could lock him out with that.
    As has already been suggested - kill the alerts, and just have it working away silently.
    While you're there, run every program that might access the net (iexplore, realplayer, wmplayer yadda yadda) and set the permissions for it there and then with the "always use this setting blah blah".

Thats seems a good approach. Didn't know about the password facility. I'll have to check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Like most users he doesn't listen. I've been telling him till I'm blue in the face.

Maybe a new saying will find its way into the language soon....

"Like most users, he doesn't listen. I told him not to mess with the settings until he was blue in the screen..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah just do as santa hoe says and u should be set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

Originally posted by X4
    either upgrade or uninstall it

then a re-installation will have all settings reconfigured.

No do not un-install ZA. Zone alarm holds it's settings when you un-install it. This is the only software firewall that does such a thing.

Advertisement