Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Players €60 - Dunnes Stores

• 28-12-2003 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Just to let people know, Dunnes Stores (in Donaghmede anyway) are selling off DVD players for €59.99. They have a big stack of them right beside the salad bar of all places!!

They are "Clairtone" - which I've never heard of, but makes no odds.
    Silver, slimline.
    They play DVD/VCD/Audio CD/MP3 data discs/CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW - basically everything, and they look really stylish.

And they have full DTS and Dolby Digital support.

I already have 3 DVD players (PC, PS2 & Standalone), but I bought one anyway (which I'll probably give to my Mam or something) because it was such a good bargain.

Good Luck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

LIDL are selling a DVD player from tomorrow for €54.99.

Looky here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Okay. Thanks for stealing my thunder :mad:

I still wouldn't join a LIDL queue.....nightmare.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

do the dunnes stores DVD players play region 1 discs??? (suppose this is just too much to ask for!!)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Depending on which one you get. The ronins can. I don't think the bush or the clarion one does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Bush 2023 hack might work for the 2038 (it works for the 2028), as for the Clairtone, most players of that brand can use this one.

• Advertisement

Good to know, guy in work has the bush one, oi'll pass it on to him and let you know if it works.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

there ****e dvd players lads...

What, the bush one? The Ronin has gotten some excellent reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by bovril
    do the dunnes stores DVD players play region 1 discs??? (suppose this is just too much to ask for!!)

The one I picked up is multi region anyway. Watched Glengarry Glenross region 1 on it. Lovely.

Ronaldo7.... yeah, they're hardly the top of the range are they at that price? You're an eejit. This board is bargains. Not the latest Sony home theatre system, it's a feckin cheap player. End of story.

Was that region free to start, or did you update the firmware? Most people seem to be insterested in whether the various models can/cant'e be unlocked.

Ronin - Started as R2, upgradeable to multi region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Region Free out of the box. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    there ****e dvd players lads...

Why? Because Dunnes are selling them and they are not big brand name players?
    Have you tried using one?
    The Ronin one I got is very nice so far. Played everything thrown at it including RCE discs so I'm happy.
    Only thing it's lacking is a second scart connection on the back and a DTS decoder. But hey it was cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

The Ronin P80H is a good player for that price. I got one and im happy with it. As regards hacking it to Play Everything the file on this site should do it.

http://roninhacks.shacknet.nu/

Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I bought a Hyundai one in Dunnes in Cornelscourt. Great player. Can be made regiofree with this hack. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

call me a cabbage but (i too have the hyundai one), if I apply the region free hack, will I be able to play region 1 and region 2 without changing any settings back and forth and also is there any way that if I applied the hack incorrectly it would do any harm, is there a way of reverting back to the original settings if things go wrong?

many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I was in the electronics store in Jervis St. on Tues (ground floor beside Waterstones, name escapes me).

They have a no-brand DVD player €49.99
    They have a Mitsubishi Black Diamond DVD player €69.99

I know that, for the sake of €20, I'd feel a little more comfortable with the Mitsubishi, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by dod
    I was in the electronics store in Jervis St. on Tues (ground floor beside Waterstones, name escapes me).

Dixons

Advertisement