Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Amplifier to Sound Card

• 28-12-2003 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new Dell PC with a Creative Audigy 2 sound card (details here ). I have a seperates Pioneer sound system & want to plug the amplifier into the sound card - the objective is to copy some material from some vinyl records onto the PC to make CD copies of the records.

Here is my question - what's the best way to hook the two up - what equipment, cabling, software etc. do I need. Has anybody here experience of doing it, what pitfalls are to be avoided, where best to get the equipment etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

first off you'll want to buy a 'phono to minijack' cable. it will have a stereo minijack on one end, the other end will be 2 phono cables, one red and one white.

the amp will probably have a tape output or at least some kinda phono output on the back, plug your cable in there. plug the minijack end into the 'line in' of your computer.

software is a matter of taste i guess. i like soundforge. other options are cooledit and theres a free one called gold audio or something.

you have to select your recording input in windows volume control. stick the record volume to the max, if it clips at all (if the recorded sound is distorted when it gets loud) bring it down a bit. most software will let you clean up vinyl sounds but i have no experience with that. soundforge will let you burn directly from the program, dunno about others. i've probably left loads of stuff out but i hope that helps get you started anyway. i wouldn't dive right in and make cds until you've learned a little bit about how to get a good sound. some amps have digital output aswell, but i've skipped that because i don't know if it would be beneficial in this case.

Advertisement