Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United-v-Boro(scores)

• 28-12-2003 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Could be tough one for United should pull threw in the end to stay top.

Th reason I have put scpres in thread is because the scores will be in it when the match starts if there is any

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Teams

United:
    Howard
    G.Neville
    Ferdinand
    Silvestre
    Fortune
    Fletcher
    Keane
    P.Neville
    Giggs
    Scholes
    van Nistelrooy

Boro:
    Schwarzer
    Mills
    Ehiogu
    Southgate
    Queudrue
    Boateng
    Mendieta
    Greening
    Zenden
    Juninho
    Rickeets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Pleasantly surprised to see Sylvester playing. Should be a good game.

GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Now you can give it to Fortune or count it as a Mill's own goal

That is a f**king disgrace no way did that deserve a second yellow card.

That ref should get in s**t for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Dreadful game Ricketts couldn't hit a cows ass.:)

• Advertisement

What was Giggs at he kept turning onto hs right foot(his bad foot) to take shot's

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

from Ferguson:
    "I don't think they (Middlesbrough) made a chance in the whole match," he told Sky Sports. "I don't think (goalkeeper) Tim Howard made a save."

"The referee's made a rod for his own back really -- the first booking was ridiculous," Ferguson said. "If you go on that principle, there should have been four or five sent off."

it's that kind of ****headedness that makes ABUs. u won. don't be bad winners. that's why Blatter's pissed off, and Ferdinand is getting 8months.

"I don't think they (Middlesbrough) made a chance in the whole match," he told Sky Sports. "I don't think (goalkeeper) Tim Howard made a save."

He went on to say except for corners and long throws, So with the exception of set pieces how many saves did you see Howard make?

it's that kind of ****headedness that makes ABUs. u won. don't be bad winners. that's why Blatter's pissed off, and Ferdinand is getting 8months.

The cheek of him , what he should have said is that utd didn't deserve to win it and express his surprise that more of his players were not dismissed. I Think he deserves another touchline ban to put him in his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

so was 1-0 the final score or what ?

Originally posted by Big Ears
    so was 1-0 the final score or what ?

Yeh sorry about that forgot to post it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That Ref was a joke, for united and boro dishing out stupid yellow cards one moment then playing pointless advantages the next.
    We should of had the game wraped up long b4 the end though. If only Giggs could finish like Scholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

To be honest it wasn't that dirty of a game. If anyone should have been dismissed it should have been a Boro player for that stupid squabble at the end of the first half but even that didn't warrant a red card.

I thought Ferguson should have played Ronaldo. Not only because he tore apart Everton but because Mills wouldn't have the patience or temperment to deal with all those stepovers etc :D His booking was stupid even though he had the ball!

Giggs is a terrible finisher alright, I think he has been poor for quite some time and is living off past reputation atm. Just my two cents.

Also I think the guy could do with glasses/contacts as apart from his misses he has an awful tendency to run smack bang into people! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

So can we expect to see a ban for Neville after he went for the ref?

DIdnt think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Err no i doubt thats why Blatters pissed off, i think it has something to do with drugs but im not sure now :rolleyes:

Boro had i think three (trying to remember so probably not exactly right) shots on target (all from long range, 1 in first half i think and the rest when man u were down to).

Fletchers second 'tackle' possibly deserved a yellow but his first was just stupid. Dont think he was fowling persistantly before that either. Was happy too see Ferguson telling Fletcher to hurry off the pitch.

In the replay u see he stopped short of the ref and clearly didnt go for him. He was a little over exuberant in complaints. I can never understand why players argue, ref is hardly gonna reverse his decesion now is he. O btw Dustaz, get over it would ya. You've been mentioning things like that above frequently ever since the Man u VS Arsenal game. Please give it a rest, everyone else has.

Originally posted by Dustaz

DIdnt think so.

Why would he get a ban he did nothing wrong? it was blown out of proportion at first. He did run to the ref and it looked like he was going to go for him but that was just the way he was jostling with Southgate who was trying to get the ball. In the end all Neville did was run over to the ref to bitch at him. Stupid? yes, but hardly worthy of a ban. More than Neville did it throughout the match.

Going on that basis half of the Boro team should be banned for the little bit of crying at the end of the first half when even McClaren came on the pitch at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

Terrible reffing- end of.

Posted By Dustaz

DIdnt think so.

. Shock horror - Players complain when teammate is red carded - HOLD THE FRONT PAGE.

You'll have to try a little harder than that
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Had all the makings of a very bad tempered affair after Fletcher was sent off - rediculous decision by the way - But there was a world of class difference between the two teams ! Even against 10 Boro couldn't do it !!!

By the way - Nice one Muppet ! :D:D One in yer eye Dustaz !!!

lol yer nice one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ref was poor, then again what ref isnt. juninho should have walked for his stupid reactions to perfectly good tackles. constantly hounding the linesman, only got 1 yellow.

not a fletcher fan myself, would rather see kleberson or ronaldo pin down a regular place and stop this nonsense rotating the right side. when you look at the line up you see giggs, keane, scholes, p.neville- sound, no problem, but then you see fletcher and he doesnt strike you as a player that will add anything to utd.

too wishy-washy and is definately a squad player, no more at the minute. utd go into the new year on top for definate, for me this season has been their best in years, another stroll in the park for fergie. league looks to be wrapped up so time we pushed for that champs league.

• Advertisement

ref was poor, then again what ref isnt.

I find Mike Reilly usually has a good game when reffing Utd. games;)

On fletcher I agree kleberson Ronaldo and not forgetting OLe due back soon may be better options but I think in the longer term he may come good. There is a rumour that he may be going to Antwerp shortly on loan.

Hes just young and Ferguson only plays him really for a bit of experience and to give others a rest. he has said he doesn't want to play Ronaldo twice in a week and Kleberson looked knackered towards the end v Everton.

Besides Fletcher isn't a winger hes a central midfielder, or will be anyway. How well would a young Roy Keane or Patrick Vieira have done on the right wing a few years ago when they were breaking through in their teams?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by James R
    Why would he get a ban he did nothing wrong? it was blown out of proportion at first..

ah the magic words. Blown out of proportion.

So when one player goes for the ref and has to be phyiscally restrained its ok, but when another goes for another player and has to be physically restrained, he gets a ban.

w00t!

So when one player goes for the ref and has to be phyiscally restrained its ok,

From what I saw Neville and Southgate had abit of a tussle over the ball presumably because Southgate wanted to take a quick free. I didn't see anyone being restrained from attacking the ref.
    Are you sure we're talking about the same incident/match?

Originally posted by Dustaz
    So when one player goes for the ref and has to be phyiscally restrained its ok, but when another goes for another player and has to be physically restrained, he gets a ban.

Em no, he didn't have to be physically restrained at all. He just so happened to have the ball in his hand and Southgate tried to get it off him. Then there was a bit of a tussle for it. It looked like he was going to go for the ref by the way the camera broke to it and the reaction of the commentator but when they showed it from a camera on the roof later it was nothing. Get over it. At the end of the day, Gary Neville is a crying, whinging player - like a lot of players in the Premiership, and every side has one - all he wanted to do was moan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted By James R

How well would a young Roy Keane or Patrick Vieira have done on the right wing a few years ago when they were breaking through in their teams?!

James while I agree with most of the things you have said so far in this post I don't think you can compare Fletcher to Roy Keane or Patrick Vieara.

While I'll admit Fletcer is young and does need time to improve I can't ever see him in Midfield for Man U. He is a decent player but thats it. I have yet to see that special something that turns a decent player into a top notch player.

Back to the Match. I was looking at the Man U website and I noticed that Ryan Giggs was voted Man Of the Match on it. Obviously who ever voted was watching the match on teletext. I thought he was crap. He had atleast 4 decent oppurtunities to score and every time he took the wrong option. I think he is having a good season so far but sometimes he frustrates the hell outta me.

As for the Ref I thoght it was the worst refereeing display I've seen live all season. For both sides. He let the crowd get to him. He let play go when players were after getting mauled and he called for frees when apparently nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Dustaz

ah the magic words. Blown out of proportion.

w00t!

Jees man you soun like a cross between a 17th century novelist and a Politician. At least name the 'One' your talking about. I don't think that this one player is reading the post. Sounds to me like your still harping on about something that happened in the 17th century.

And another thing what kind of englis is this

'when another goes for another player'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by AthAnRi

Back to the Match. I was looking at the Man U website and I noticed that Ryan Giggs was voted Man Of the Match on it. Obviously who ever voted was watching the match on teletext. I thought he was crap. He had atleast 4 decent oppurtunities to score and every time he took the wrong option.

i agree, giggs didnt desevre motm, thought ferdinand should have got it personally, a rock in the centre of defence and kept everything simple. he will be missed i'm sure, himself and silvestre have been the best centre backs this season in the league. both of them constantly press and hassle strikers and both have the pace and strength to cope with any strikeforce. since the stuttgart game away, they've excelled.

league looks to be wrapped up so time we pushed for that champs league.
    Lets not going counting chickens please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

buk . . buk . . ONE . . . buk . . buk . . TWO . . . buk buk . . . buk . . THREE !!!!:D

Tinky

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    James while I agree with most of the things you have said so far in this post I don't think you can compare Fletcher to Roy Keane or Patrick Vieara.

While I'll admit Fletcer is young and does need time to improve I can't ever see him in Midfield for Man U. He is a decent player but thats it. I have yet to see that special something that turns a decent player into a top notch player.

True he isn't in their same league. he never will be because if anything hes more of a Paul Scholes/Frank Lampard style midfielder than a Vieira or Keane style but its early yet so he may or may not break through. I remember a few years back Scholes was almost sold to Reading for about 750k.

Anyway even if he doesn't fit in with utd hes bound to be a good player elsewhere. Also I'm sure AC Milan regret letting a player of a similar situation called Patrick Vieira go for next to nothing a few years back to Arsenal :)

Iheard yesyerday on SSNews that Berti Voghts(Scotland manager)was thinking making Fletcher the new captain since Barry Ferguson broke his knee cap

Big step up for the lad considering he is'nt playing to regulary and has'nt played much for the Scotish senior team.

Advertisement