Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a snake

Options
  • 28-12-2003 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

after the loss of my snake 2 years ago i think im finaly ready to move on and get another .

im going to get a new tank etc.. as i dont know where my old stuff has gone . anyone know a good place in dublin city center for getting them ? i liked my last one a lot but it had some disease im told . is there any way of knowing if the new snake will be healthy ? im willing to spend a good bit on him but ill be traveling home with it and that will be a few hrs journey so anyone know where i can get a small thing to hold the mice and keep them cool/frozen ?

thx

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Reptile Haven in Fishamble street is probably the best place in Dublin.Ben in there is excellent and knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

I too recomend Ben in fishamble street. :)

hehe steer v clear of any yellow rat snakes they offer u tho, last one they sold me was a MEAN ole effer lol "well handled", my arse! I had to use leather gardening gloves and a coil to handle the bugger ;)

To keep them cold, my way was allways successfull for me,.... get a large container (bucket or casserole / tuppaware dish, depending on how many u are carrying) put a signifigantly smaller container inside, and fill the space between the two with water,.... freeze it in the freezer the day before, u then are left with a large amount of ice in the 1st container with a hollow (where the bowl was) to put the mice, lastly, wrap the whole thing in tinfoil..... put them in there, seal it, and wholla, should last many hours. Even if it does melt, the water will stay cold enuf as long as u have sealed the container well.

another way is to get a thermos flask, half fill with ice, place the mice in it, and close, ....either way, avoid opening it till u get home to check, the more u open it, the quicker it melts. ;) but shud be fine.

the last method (tho *I* have never tried this, just been told about it)... is to buy those ice packs that take 7 hours to melt from a camping store, they are blue plastic with a special liquid or gel inside, freeze em, and pack them and the pre-frozen mice, with some ice if u wish, into a very tight container lined with tinfoil, they shud do the trick too.

Personally, i prefere my own ways, as i *know* they work lol ;)

Ben also I am sure will have suggestions.

hope that helps

B

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

I’ve been keeping snakes for around 6-7 years (maybe longer) and the only way to know is your snake healthy when buying it is to look at its surroundings (make sure the vivariums are clean and even that theres no smells) and its keeper (dont mind about the smell of the keeper haha), i would stay well clear of the buy and sell.

yea Ben is good but also Thomas from McElheron Reptiles on Wellington Quay (just across from millennium bridge) is very good. he is the one I’ve been dealing with even back when him and ben were partners in Mother Red Caps market (don’t know does anyone remember back that far haha).
    Thomas is more ... selective of who he sells things to and wont display everything, like sure he can get Burmese pythons but wont sell them to an inexperienced keeper its a bit cruel just selling everything and anything to everyone, u get me? so keeps some things out of public display.

so id probably go into both places and have a talk with ben and thomas and then decide on what bred of snake you want then get a book read up about them, either get one of them to build you a vivarium or do it yourself, but again get advice off who ever your buying it from. like DO NOT put a snake into a glass tank bad conductor of heat and open sides will make the snake feel threatened and he wont eat etc etc.

Need anymore info just post or pm
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thx for all the info will come in handy ill go into both places . i know the place facing hte bridge ive been in there a few times

ill have to go find the other place tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

or...you could go to indonesia and getthis!. i mean jesus...eats up to 5 full-grown dogs a month. i bet its a robot...damn meddling kids

• Advertisement
Advertisement