Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help - Eircom Netopia and Linksys

• 28-12-2003 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭

Guys - I'm a complete newbie here and need some help.
    Have got the Eircom self starter kit with the Netopia Cayman up and running using the Ethernet connection. I want to use a router to allow two computers access without faffing around with cables. Bought a Linksys BEFRS41 and just can't get the two to work together....even the Linksys Wizard doesn't see my connection as online on either computer - one running 2000 and the other on ME.
    Any advice is very welcome.....thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

Why don't you use one Ethernet and one USB connection on the Cayman modem? This way, you can connect two computers at the same time to the Internet.

Esentziak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

will is still get the same speeds using usb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Dermoth
    will is still get the same speeds using usb?
    Even USB 1.0 was faster than the 512Kbps that you can get on oreillycom starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The Netopia is a router, can you not just plug it into a hub/switch?

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    The Netopia is a router, can you not just plug it into a hub/switch?
    He could have, if he'd asked his question before he spent his money.

Right now, the Linksys and the Netopia are both trying to do NAT and DHCP. The simplest things is probably to "dumb down" the Netopia and use it as a plain modem instead of the default router config. Some Netopia users have posted the steps involved, so do some searches for netopia and "bridged", and see if you can find the relevant posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Have the same problem myself but i have the 8 way router. looking to distribute the broadband to all the bedrooms and sitting rooms in house and an office down the hall. Have all the cat 5e wiring in. i get into the set-up but need to know if eircom broadband is fixed ip or not and what all the settings are. any help appreciated, i know it could probably have been cheeper another way but have the equipment now so may use it, my dad uses VPN and was told to get this router as it is compatable with their network.

thanks

hugh

Originally posted by the_viper2kie
    Have the same problem myself but i have the 8 way router. looking to distribute the broadband to all the bedrooms and sitting rooms in house and an office down the hall. Have all the cat 5e wiring in. i get into the set-up but need to know if eircom broadband is fixed ip or not and what all the settings are. any help appreciated, i know it could probably have been cheeper another way but have the equipment now so may use it, my dad uses VPN and was told to get this router as it is compatable with their network.
    You'll have to be more descriptive - "the 8 way router"? What 8 way router?

No, it's not fixed IP (or if it was, you'd already be aware of it).

Originally posted by Ripwave
    You'll have to be more descriptive - "the 8 way router"? What 8 way router?
    He must mean an 8 port hub/switch.
    Is it just me or are the posts on this board getting more and more vague?

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    He must mean an 8 port hub/switch.
    The irony is that that would have worked "out of the box". I'm guessing that he decided that something that simple couldn't possible work, so he threw money at the problem, and managed to make it more complicated!

Thanks for some of the helpful comments. I did that search on Bridge and Netopia and got some hits....however if I was as up to speed on how to dumb down the Netopia, I don't think I'd have bought the "wrong" device in the first place!!;-)
    I'm not sure if I'm competent enough to change all those settings just to set the linksys up - an expensive mistake I know...
    If a hub/switch will work out of the box - do you have any suggestions on a specific device that will do the job? I know that I can use USB and the Ethernet port together but already have installed Ethernet to avoid any conflicts and would like to keep it that way.

• Advertisement

If a hub/switch will work out of the box - do you have any suggestions on a specific device that will do the job? I know that I can use USB and the Ethernet port together but already have installed Ethernet to avoid any conflicts and would like to keep it that way.
    Marx Computers in Fairview have an 8 port switch for €30 (click on their Weekly Specials page to see the €30 price).

Thanks for some of the helpful comments. I did that search on Bridge and Netopia and got some hits
    It looks like it's a common request - it's the very first entry on the Netopia FAQ

Originally posted by Ripwave
    It looks like it's a common request - it's the very first entry on the Netopia FAQ
    Nobody ever reads tfm or searches tfw though ;)

Ripwave - thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Advertisement