Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G phone

• 28-12-2003 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

What ye think of this. Friend is getting it, just wondering what ye think. One problem its very big but you can have live video calls on it. It doesnt have a keypad, it has a touchscreen, its a lot like a pda. Its bigger than your average phone but its more of a pda so thats to be expected.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i presume your friend may actually use a 3g network? otherwise this is an excellent case of having more money than sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by carrotcake
    i presume your friend may actually use a 3g network? otherwise this is an excellent case of having more money than sense!

Yeah i know, i dont like it either tbh. However there is an mp3 player in it, GPS tracking, you can install software on it and there are full 3d games with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the A920 disappointed many when launched due to features not being enabled (e.g. bluetooth and infrared), being locked so applications not 'approved' (signed) by Three could be installed and an internet 'walled garden' being imposed

Three have recently sorted out enabling Bluetooth by offering an update service to their custoemrs, with the infrared feature due to be 'sorted' next year more info... (link from allaboutsymbian.com)

there were 'other' ways of fully enabling the handset... with a recent site making firmware available which enabled the full features of the phone but it had to be withdrawn...

lectrosoul mentioned he had one so would be a good person to ask about it...

there is also an A925 model coming out...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I dont suppose anyone would know where to get the patch to make bluetooth and infra-red available on the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Did anybody read in Time magazine how O2 Ireland recently announced the launch of their 3G network to a "limited number of users"? Exact number of users, as Time pointed out, were 25, with no plans for that number to increase in the near future.. A good example of government licence requirements being met with minimum effort!

So you won't be using the video call capabilities of the motoralo a920 unless you're one of the lucky 25!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

didn't read it in Time, just on the mmO2 site:
    O2 Ireland Switches on 3G Network

this is more for them to get feedback and test the service out with a control group... a (trial) launch has to start somewhere, voda's launch was to 'a number of key customers'...

both were using the Nokia 6650 handset...

BrianG

Advertisement