Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanad no longer a quango ?

Options
  • 29-12-2003 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

News story from here.

Looks like the seanad might be directly elected by the people rather than being a resting place for failed poliiticians.
    Its 66 years overdue but finally the 90 odd percent of the population that presently have no say might have an input in what is rather an important decision making body.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

But if we all vote on who gets in, what's the difference between the upper and lower houses?

And the thing that would worry me is the spectre of losing the one single honest politician we actually have (Norris).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Tell me gurramok. can u please explain to us all what a quango is?
    And then explain how the Seanad resembles one.
    Unless of course you were simply using the buzz-word without having the slightest clue what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

An equivalent to an unelected House of Lords in the uk where majority of candidates are appointed rather than elected by the general electorate.

Do you have a legal right to vote for anyone to the Seanad?

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

QUANGO stands for quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation.

I don't have a vote for any election at the moment since I'm not yet 18. I intend having a Seanad vote in about 4 years time though as a graduate of the National University of Ireland.
    I understand your point that the Seanad isn't elected by popular vote but that does not neccessarily mean that it's undemocratic. Remember that every member of the Seanad, except the 6 University representatives, is either appointed by An Taoiseach (elected by the Dail which is in turn elected by popular vote or is elected by our County Councillors, again all of whom area elected by popular vote. Hence the only really unequally representative seats in the Seanad are the University ones (The seats which have the greatest number of constituents)
    I don't see any great problems with this system, other than perhaps the need to extend the University electorate to all degree holders.
    Having an upper house directly elected by the people would defeat the purpose of having an Upper House of Parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The key point about a quango being the "NG" part of it :)

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement