Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van wont start

Options
  • 29-12-2003 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

I had to get the AA out couple days ago to get the van started so I could get the car out the driveway as the van was blocking it. He said there was something wrong with the glowplug system. He said the glowplugs themselves are ok , but there is no power getting to them when I turn on the ignition ???

Anyway, tommorow is going to be the first change for me to get the thing fixed, but i Know its going to be a biatch to try get her started in the morning. Can anyone suggest anything that I could do to get the van started without any glow plugs???

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Get a tow up to about 15 mph put it in third and pop the clutch it should fire from the heat built up from the compression. It will probably make lots of smoke when it does fire though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

If you are going to tow start it just be aware that due to the high compression ratio in most diesels you may damage the clutch and / or gearbox and / or engine mountings 8-(

( Years ago I had a diesel Golf which some grease monkey decided to tow start - I had to get the clutch replaced when he had finished )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll echo what what said above....just remmeber not to let the clutch out at more than about 15 mph as Redshift said but use second gear and rev the sod as soon as it gets going!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Redshift
    Get a tow up to about 15 mph put it in third and pop the clutch it should fire from the heat built up from the compression

I dunno what you mean by 'pop the clutch'. Do you mean put the van in third, depress and take my foot off the clutch, and then try starting while being towed. I've never done this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never done a tow-start??? Ando you have'nt lived! :)

Heres the idiots guide (!) -

1 Turn ignition key to start postition
    2 Put gear box into 2nd or 3rd (I say 2nd)
    3 Keep foot on clutch so you freewheel as you are towed
    then at about 15 mph let the clutch out and with any luck compression will start the engine.

If it starts, knock the gearstick into neutral and left foot brake whilst revving with the right, whoever is towing you needs to know that the engine has started so flash the lights and he can then slow down slowly...!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

or just get a few friends to push said vehicle up to speed. not all that difficult with 2 or 3 lads. promise em beer and i'd say u'll have little trouble convincing people. also eliminates the need for a second car and the chance of rear ending it

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You shouldn't need another vehicle to jump start just get 2 mates if you are near a hill its even easier . I think its safer than yousing a second vehicel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by BabyEater
    You shouldn't need another vehicle to jump start just get 2 mates if you are near a hill its even easier . I think its safer than yousing a second vehicel.

The problem there is that if the engine is cold it will take a bit of turning over at a sustained speed to generate enough heat in the cylinders to fire the engine hence the tow start. You need to keep the engine turning over fast and I don't think a couple of blokes pushing it would do it because as soon as the clutch is released the van will quickly stop wheras can towing vehicle can pull against the compression and keep her turning. I think you are thinking along the lines of push starting a petrol engine which is far easier.

Advertisement