Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Access Denied for going over limit

• 29-12-2003 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Rang tech support yesterday as I was getting a username/password invalid error when trying to connect.

I was then informed that I had gone over the download limit(just over 10GB) and was disconnected until the end of the month.

I was furious as I had checked with customer support prior to signing up and they said I would have to pay extra for going over but I wouldn't be disconnected. I was happy with this as I knew there would be months when I would need go over and was willing to pay for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Email: complaints@esat.com and give all this info. Nowhere in your contract does it talk about suspension of service right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I have sent customer care a stinker. will foloow on to complaints.

The FAQs mention suspension for consistently above the limit.

My usage in 3 months is just over 24GB, 1 month under, 2nd slightly over,3rd 2 GB over - hardly consistent.
    if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Seems a bit harsh alright, I wonder how they calculate this "consistent" overuse

the only possible explanation is that they calculate their limit on a daily basis and therefore if you are consistently over it every day for a month you will exceed their limit and be guilty of consistent overuse

as I said, very harsh if that's the case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

There isnt a daily limit, it's done monthly, so that rules that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

Harsh alright. But this isnt shock from people like Esat. It will be very intresting to see how your situation turns out. imo this kind of complaint is going to become commonplace. Quality/availability of service before Spirit of Service.

k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Damn. I never thought they'd actually do it, you must be the first Kida...

Spoke to a biddy in customer care and she couldn't actually show where it says this will happen.
    She said its in the TOC.
    I asked her to read it out and she couldn't. I have escelated it to a supervisor and sent an email to complaints.

In effect they are not following their own guidlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

I've been over their limit alot more than you and although having problems with logging in at the moment, have yet to be suspended.

:ninja: Also, this is off topic but, has anyone at all yet been charged for being over the limit?!? I'm begining to believe its only a myth, at least thats what i'm trying to convince myself :dunno: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Lol, theres a simple answer to all this. Well we all know what a shower of incompetants work the phones/accounts/etc in esat. Now several people have been having difficulty logging in, including myself. This problem hasn't been sorted out to my knowledge, so the person you were talking to literally pulled an excuse out of their arse. Its a problem they aren't aware of/cant solve so they'll feed you any old crap.

Thankfully I can log in after a few tries.

I used to have log in problems - but usually got in after a few minutes.

but I had 2 people confirm the reason for me being locked out.

Ebonyks - are you over this month? I have a feeling this is a new introduction this month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Ebonyks
    :ninja: Also, this is off topic but, has anyone at all yet been charged for being over the limit?!? I'm begining to believe its only a myth, at least thats what i'm trying to convince myself :dunno: :confused:
    What exactly do you think is a "myth"? It's not a myth that oreillycom "reserve the right" to charge you for going over, but in their case, they have alternative, higher price options that they can (and would prefer to) encourage you to "upgrade" to. They'd rather get a steady €90 or €180 a month from you (the VAT goes to the government), rather than €45 this month, and €170 next month, and €45 the month after.

UTV don't have the option of "upgrading" you, and IOL only have it in a limited number of phone exchanges (and even there, they're so incompetent, they probably wouldn't be able to switch you over).

So this is yet another situation where oreillycom set the restrictive ground rules that their competitors are forced to work under, while their own retail arm get to cherry-pick whatever suits them.

Ripwave -

Thats funny - at least twice on the call I was told "you have the option to upgrade"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

upgrade to what? I wasnt under the impression IOL did anything apart from the basic service. Esat have their business connections but that needs special hardware and only in certain exchanges. Im curious what they teied to 'upgrade' you to.

I presume it was the esat business package. I stopped her as soon as she started talking about it.

Originally posted by kida
    Ripwave -

Thats funny - at least twice on the call I was told "you have the option to upgrade"
    What telephone exchange are you on? The list of ESAT enabled exchanges is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

When i signed up, I ws told it was absolutley no problem to go over the limit...you just pay the difference.
    I dont think I was lied to, I like think the customer service representatives just arent properly trained or the training is not comprehensive enough.
    There seems to be absolutley no communication between departments....its more like chinese whispers

Lucan - and its not on - just proves they haven't a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

I'm not saying the charge is in any way fictitious, ofcourse they reserve the right (unfortunatey). But like many people have asked before me "Has anyone yet been charged?", or is it like a gallows above yer head (because the charge is pretty ridiculous as u well know).

Anyway...yep we're over this month again, although most can be pinned on the wee siblings :mad: Also i've been having problems with connecting before and after the limit was passed this month so.... but usually only takes up to 4 tries to get in on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Crap, Double Crap, Triple Crap just as I finally bothered myself to configure BT properly on the Downstairs computer so it can be left on all night to *do it's thang* this happens :(, I though nobody was ever hit by this that lots of ppl went over the limit and nothing ever happened - I'm still on and I'm well over the limit. The thing is I have a router that means I can be on for days on end without disconnecting.....so my present level 7.8Gb download and 2.5Gb upload is off by 4Gb at least and that's just downloads:(. Near the end of the month I may be able to get off with it but what if this is the new policy?. Has anyone else been hit by this?:(.

I think once either upload or download is under 8GB you are ok. And it will only disable you when you disconnect and reconnect.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Crap, Double Crap, Triple Crap just as I finally bothered myself to configure BT properly on the Downstairs computer so it can be left on all night to *do it's thang* this happens :(, I though nobody was ever hit by this that lots of ppl went over the limit and nothing ever happened - I'm still on and I'm well over the limit. The thing is I have a router that means I can be on for days on end without disconnecting.....so my present level 7.8Gb download and 2.5Gb upload is off by 4Gb at least and that's just downloads:(. Near the end of the month I may be able to get off with it but what if this is the new policy?. Has anyone else been hit by this?:(.
    Today is the 30th. How near to the end of the month were you planning to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

I had password problems the last few days, and I'm nowhere near the cap. Several attemps got me online ok. In fairness IOL shouldn't give out 'presumed' reasons for errors, but isn't it gas how many ppl jump and shout outrage etc etc...

It is what it's.

Ooneweb - it wasn't a presumption - 2 tech support people and 1 customer service person confirmed it. They at first thought it was a login error until they dug deeper.

I too had password problems this month but always got in after a few tries.

My issue with them is nowhere is it stated that the penatly for exceeding the limit is disconnection - they state you have to pay.

Ooneweb - it wasn't a presumption - 2 tech support people and 1 customer service person confirmed it. They at first thought it was a login error until they dug deeper.

I too had password problems this month but always got in after a few tries.

My issue with them is nowhere is it stated that the penatly for exceeding the limit is disconnection - they state you have to pay.
    The FAQ clearly states that "if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend ... your account".

They don't have a copy of their T&C online (that I can find). Do you want to post the relevant sections here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Im sorry but tis a bit ridiculous crying over spilled milk now, there terms and conditions clearly state they reserve the right to disconnect you from the service for going over the limit

You must have gone way over the limit to warrant this action.

I keep saying in here but nobody listens you cant have your cake and then eat it, this day was coming and i could see it a mile off

Expect a change in there t and cs in the new year to reflect this policy

rather than reserve the right itll say we will disconnect you from the service or we will charge you for going over the limit

Theres nothing we can do to get you reconnected so take it on the chin and be more responsible for what you upload and download in the future

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon
    Im sorry but tis a bit ridiculous crying over spilled milk now, there terms and conditions clearly state they reserve the right to disconnect you from the service for going over the limit

You must have gone way over the limit to warrant this action.

Jesus Shinzon, try reading the guys post before you comment. His beef with IOL is that he asked them before signing up would he be charged for going over cap as there would be occasions when he would have to download more than usual. He was told, yes, you will be charged. No one told him he'd be disconnected. So really, he hasn't done anything wrong. He was fully prepared to pay Esat's huge per MB fee. So Esat are losing out here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by eth0_
    Jesus Shinzon, try reading the guys post before you comment. His beef with IOL is that he asked them before signing up would he be charged for going over cap as there would be occasions when he would have to download more than usual. He was told, yes, you will be charged. No one told him he'd be disconnected. So really, he hasn't done anything wrong. He was fully prepared to pay Esat's huge per MB fee. So Esat are losing out here!

and as we all know esats phone support is a1 in the knowledge department

sigh

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon
    and as we all know esats phone support is a1 in the knowledge department

No, we don't 'all' know this. And he wouldn't have spoken to support, he would have spoken to sales as he was _signing up_.

When I ring a company and ask them something, I sort of take their answer at face value, I don't feel the need to ring back a few times and take a straw poll.

Ripwave - I am hardly consistently over the limit. 24GB in 3 month(2 months under - 1 month over)

Shinzon - they reserve the right to disconnect or supsend you if are consistently over the limit - nowhere does it say that you will be disconnected ever time you go over.

eth0_ - You are right - I was willing to pay if i went over - it was important that I had guaranteed service - cost was not the deciding factor.

• Advertisement

Ripwave - I am hardly consistently over the limit. 24GB in 3 month(2 months under - 1 month over)
    I'm not sure what you think the definition of consistent is - you said you've been over the limit for the last 2 months. That's consistent in my book.

Advertisement