Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Access Denied for going over limit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

look at the end of the day, your cut off, theres nothing you or i or anyone here can do about it, take it up with esat.

and im sorry but if you believed a sales drone on the phone when she said what you said she said then you are the one thats at fault not her, you should have double checked triple checked and quadruple checked before you signed upto the service

Sales drones are there to sell you things, theyd say the sand was black and her granny was jennifer lopez if she thought she could talk you into signing up with them

her job was done when you signed up for the service, now youve been caught youve been cut off,

Im sorry i seem to be confrontattional on this, but i believe that a vast majority of people think that they can interpret the T and Cs whatever way they like, so it says "they reserve the right", ah sure theyll never actually do it so ill treat my capped product as a flat rate service, I see on boards time and time again that people say theyve never heard of anyone been charged for going over the cap

WAKE UP

Sooner or later those T and C's will be enforced as more and more people sign on and think they can use the service 24/7

In your case kida, you were misled by an expert esat drone, theres nothing you can do about that now, but perhaps the radsl product is not for you and you should switch to the ESAT business product instead if its available in your exchange

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Kida, I live in Lucan and went with NTL, their download limit is 1GB a day or 30GB a month :) and also the download speed is 600kbs and it is the cheapest. Sometimes I'm over sometimes not but I never have connection problems !!:)

Did you check to see if you could get it in your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon

and im sorry but if you believed a sales drone on the phone when she said what you said she said then you are the one thats at fault not her, you should have double checked triple checked and quadruple checked before you signed upto the service

Oh my god, would you ever get a clue!! Who ever rings a company with a question, and then rings them back a few more times to see if the answer changes? No one! No one should have to do that, especially not this guy. He asked a company a simple question about the service, and was lied to. It's not his fault, it's esats. Proving this would be hard. You should always note down who you speak to in a company, but even if you have a name, the sales person in Esat could just deny they said it, and Esat can say 'well, you signed the contract, did you not read all the T&C's?'.

Why on earth are you taking Esat's side so much?

No one! No one should have to do that

exactly no one should have to do that, but unfortunately thats not reality and ETHO if you think it is your deluded.

I at least triple check everything before i commit to something, especially where ESAT are concerned and i really dont give a damn if i annoy the hell out of companies when i do do it

Better to be safe than sorry.

And im not taking ESATs side on this, it was the guys own fault for not checking into this further rather than take the word of the first sales person he got onto.

Rushing into things is what leads to situations like kidas in the first place, if you dont have the proper information to hand then its your own fault nobody elses.

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I at least triple check everything before i commit to something, especially where ESAT are concerned

Unfortunately i always feel compelled to do the same with Esat, nothing but bad experience with them.
    Wish it wasnt this way, but it is - always have to write down the name of the agent, time, date, result of our conversation - coz whenever i dont i find them bullsh1tting me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

why can't they just charge him for the megabyte like has been mentioned before, they should just pop up something saying you have gone over your cap you will now be charged x cent per megabyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Bah never bleave esat their tech support/sales drones are idoits

Ethos is right though.....esat told him that it was ok to go over the limit as long as you pay per meg and never mentioned being cut off you should (more so if your new to esat) be able to take the sales staffs word as face value and not worry about checking 2 times 3 times or 4 times with esat

Its the Sales drones fault kida was cut off not his own he was only playing to the rules he was told about

But the lesson is! never EVER bleave a esat phone jockey its bad for your health and bank blance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Having just read the post in it's entirety.... you still feeling aggrieved shinzon by not being able to get any sort of broadband yourself? Or has your situation changed? ;)

carb.

Originally posted by carbsy
    Having just read the post in it's entirety.... you still feeling aggrieved shinzon by not being able to get any sort of broadband yourself? Or has your situation changed? ;)

carb.

:-D

Please point out to me where in any of my posts above did i mention my broadband situation cause i cant see it

So lets recap for the millionth time shall we and for the lesser sighted I shall put it into point form to make it easier to understand

1) He got cut off for consistently going over his cap because he was under the illusion that everyone in esat tells the truth (sorry but thats plain gullible).

2) unless someone who reads this board comes forward and says that he works for ESAT then theres no use bitching about it on here cause there isnt a hell of a lot anyone can do

3) Reserve the right does not mean that they wont ever do it, it means they can exercise that right anytime they want which they did in this case.

Now thats my entire 4 posts on this subject put into point form, what any of this has got to do with my situation please tell me where or, you can read this post because its all there for everyone to read

God forbid anyone actually comes on here and tell it like it is

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well I'm back 2 whole days without Internet :mad:, on the dot of midnight my connection was restored ( Happy New Year :dunno: ), I was disconnected in the middle of a 2.5GB download of Tick stuff from BT - like that no warning it was on 7% and BAM, black light on the BT client, no connection anymore:(. Well I hit 11.5GB on the download side before I was knocked off I think my router saved me from being disconnected 3 days before on the Up side I hit 3.5Gb so it's one side hits 8Gb and you are OFF. What a cow:mad: :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

The sales lady misrepresented the T&C's to Offlercroc and he would be justified in voiding his BB contract with Esat (especially if he can prove the misrepresentation. ie does he have the name of the Saleswoman that gave him the incorrect infomation and the date) even tho he signed the BB contract which may have different T&C's because he was relying on the Misrepresentation before signing as an explanation of the T&C's.

If Offlercroc has NTL as an alternative like MickFarr and myself (or even the rat) then voiding his BB contracr would be a possible course of action for him.

Dont want to plug NTL but I find NTL BB great and haven't had any real probs with it at all and I have it since August. The Best BB in Ireland I think hands down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by shinzon
    Please point out to me where in any of my posts above did i mention my broadband situation cause i cant see it

So lets recap for the millionth time shall we and for the lesser sighted I shall put it into point form to make it easier to understand

1) He got cut off for consistently going over his cap because he was under the illusion that everyone in esat tells the truth (sorry but thats plain gullible).

2) unless someone who reads this board comes forward and says that he works for ESAT then theres no use bitching about it on here cause there isnt a hell of a lot anyone can do

3) Reserve the right does not mean that they wont ever do it, it means they can exercise that right anytime they want which they did in this case.

Now thats my entire 4 posts on this subject put into point form, what any of this has got to do with my situation please tell me where or, you can read this post because its all there for everyone to read

God forbid anyone actually comes on here and tell it like it is

Shin

1) What's gullible about it? He asked someone who was representing Esat at the time whether he would be cut off or not if he went over the limit, they said 'no'. He had no reason to disbelieve them.

2) I disagree, because a lot of Esat's customers visit this board, If they are getting close to going over the limit they might think twice now. I know if I was with IOL (which I'm not), This information would change my browsing habits.

3) Yeah okay that's fair enough, it still doesn't give esat the right to lie over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Well I hit 11.5GB on the download side before I was knocked off I think my router saved me from being disconnected 3 days before on the Up side I hit 3.5Gb so it's one side hits 8Gb and you are OFF. What a cow:mad: :(.
    Would you rather have been charged 3c per meg for the 3500 megs you went over?!? I'd just count my blessings and stay under the cap in future.

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Would you rather have been charged 3c per meg for the 3500 megs you went over?!? I'd just count my blessings and stay under the cap in future.

No - I'm pissed at the crap I'm being sold as BB, it's like getting cable TV and being told you can only watch it for 78 hours a month anything over that and you get disconnected :mad:. I would love to get NTL BB 30GB is closer to reality - it's the first of the month and my cap is already at 3GB after finishing getting the Tick and other South Park eps. In one day I have gone through nearly half my cap:mad:, thats plain crap. I am now going to afto be stuck browsing for the rest of the month and I wont be able to do anything else. When are we getting REAL BB in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Looks like you have been forgiven. (at least they only throttle back at the 'cap 'point.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    Looks like you have been forgiven. (at least they only throttle back at the 'cap 'point.

I dont mind throttling I can live with that but outright disconnection is pure crap:mad:, it's a total loss of a service the entire family depends on!, what I'd prefer is this crappy cap to be gone totally but that will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Heari s the reply I got from IOL Complaints.

The bit that makes no sense is
    "
    your allowance is calculated on a daily basis and consistant breaches will
    involve disconnection.
    "
    This is is their interpretation of the FAQ. As far as I know there is no daily allowance- which is what this implies.

Dear XXXX
    I am replying to your email with your query regarding our usage limits.

This is from http://www.iol.ie/broadband/bb_faq.htm :-

Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    From the 1st October you will be entitled to free transfer of up to 8
    Gigabytes of data in any given month. This is double the allowance on the
    eircom i-stream service.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you
    for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are
    consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or
    permanently disconnect your account.

As above and in your initial email according to our terms and conditions;
    involve disconnection.

Thank you for raising this query and your feedback is much appreciated. If
    you may have any further queries with this information please do not
    hesitate to contact our Customer Care team at 1800 923 222.

Regards
    Complaints
    Esat BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Also you can hardly feel sorry for him if that 3.5 gigs was from downloading South Park and Tick episodes from Bit Torrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I have gotten the complaints department to say this in writing

"As per the previous mail the monthly limit is 8GB and over usage
    will result in disconnection."

This clearly differs from their website.

"if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account"

I think it is time for a complaint to advertising standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

also if its a service your whole family depends on perhaps you should have considered that before you downloaded so much?

hmm god help me if people are flying over esats cap, i'm getting eircom :(

I dont mind throttling I can live with that but outright disconnection is pure crap:mad:, it's a total loss of a service the entire family depends on!, what I'd prefer is this crappy cap to be gone totally but that will never happen.

Eh...if it's so important for your family, why don't they bother checking their usage metre once in a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by kida
    Heari s the reply I got from IOL Complaints.

The bit that makes no sense is
    "
    involve disconnection.
    "
    This is is their interpretation of the FAQ. As far as I know there is no daily allowance- which is what this implies.
    Do they teach English Comprehension in school these days?

"You allowance is calculated on a daily basis" - they update the usage totals every day.

"consistent breaches" are breaches of your monthly allowance - you've already told us that you've been over the limit for the last 2 months. When you breached it again this month, your account was suspended, as per the FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by kida
    I have gotten the complaints department to say this in writing

"As per the previous mail the monthly limit is 8GB and over usage
    will result in disconnection."

This clearly differs from their website.

"if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account"
    There's not much point in "reserving the right", if they don't intend to use it. They've decided to use it. There is absolutely no contradiction in the statement in the e-mail, and the staement on the website.
    I think it is time for a complaint to advertising standards.
    Complain away - you're wasting their time, and ours.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Do they teach English Comprehension in school these days?

"You allowance is calculated on a daily basis" - they update the usage totals every day.

"consistent breaches" are breaches of your monthly allowance - you've already told us that you've been over the limit for the last 2 months. When you breached it again this month, your account was suspended, as per the FAQ.

Are you talking to me?:dunno:, this is the first time I have ever broken the cap! (even when it was 4GB!) for months I have been under now the first time I break it they call it consistent???. Any which way I'm pissed at the fact I got "BroadBand" and am restricted so MUCH it's crap in two or three days I can break this cap....that is nothing but rubbish, it's not BB it's dial-up on steroids :mad: - I want real BB like the rest of the advanced world.

By the way Dataisgod I pity you.....4GB; you better not download anything, as a matter of fact you better not USE your "BB" connection:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Any which way I'm pissed at the fact I got "BroadBand" and am restricted so MUCH it's crap in two or three days I can break this cap....that is nothing but rubbish, it's not BB it's dial-up on steroids :mad: - I want real BB like the rest of the advanced world.

Why oh why did you sign up then? Some people on here just take the biscuit. :rolleyes:

carb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Any which way I'm pissed at the fact I got "BroadBand" and am restricted so MUCH it's crap in two or three days I can break this cap....that is nothing but rubbish, it's not BB it's dial-up on steroids - I want real BB like the rest of the advanced world.

hmmm im starting to think you didnt look into this AT ALL before signing up:dunno:

Originally posted by bizmark
    hmmm im starting to think you didnt look into this AT ALL before signing up:dunno:

I did I just thought that I would be *charged* instead of disconnected:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

So you'd be willing to pay the €105 they would have charged instead of being disconnected?

• Advertisement

So you'd be willing to pay the €105 they would have charged instead of being disconnected?

THAT'S WHAT HE SAID!
    If you read his posts you see he said he knew from the outset there would be months when he'd go over cap, and he knew about the charges and was willing to pay them. Who's to say he's downloading crap, he could be a graphic designer with a lot of work on atm, but doesn't warrant business dsl because he's not *always* downloading large files.

Advertisement