Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with ADSL and Eircom's Avoca phones?

• 29-12-2003 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon all...

First off, a belated Happy Christmas to everyone... :)

I'm with Clicksilver and connected one of Eircom's Avoca phones to the same socket as the Prestige USB modem I got from them (using the supplied splitter/filter).
    However, since doing so, whenever I try to use the phone while the modem is online there is a terrible buzzing noise. I think I can rule out a line problem as my mam has the same thing at home with the same type of phone and she has Eircom's broadband offering.

I did have a BT DECT phone connected beforehand that seemed ok (tho of course it was further away from the socket) but the reason I swapped it is for the speakerphone on the Avoca.... my question therefore is this:

Has anyone else come across this problem with these phones where ADSL is installed and if so, is there a fix?

Mam has been onto Eircom about it as her line actually seems to cut out entirely for a few moments during calls but they're not being very helpful and want to charge her 150 EUR (minimum) to replcae the wiring in the house - suprise suprise :( - so I thought I'd post it here.

Appreciate any help....thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If the phone is under warranty get a replacement in the nearest Eircom shop, if not you are on your own with it. If the replacement interferes with the line you have an interesting denail of service case against Eircom, the Avoca is a line powered display phone with an LCD display and some LEDs innit ?

Get an electrician to rewire the sockets IN SERIES , half the houses in Ireland are wrongly wired I'd say .......but first..

Disconnect all the sockets apart from the first one where the wire comes in.. Eircom must fix all problems that far into the house including the socket itself if needs be. If all the others are unhooked first they cannot blame the internal wiring anymore and have to come out. If the fault goes away after you unhook the other sockets then Eircom are right and it is your problem. This often happens in fairness .

Mail complaints@eircom.ie cc to info@comreg.ie , give them a week and then forward the mail to phil.nolan@eircom.ie if they dont show up, cc info@comreg.ie again of course.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Advertisement