Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Ride Hells Chasm

Options
  • 29-12-2003 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Meant to post this ages ago actually... got this book a while back and it's really really good... anyone else read it?

Unusual in that it seems to be a standalone book, but in a good Guy Gavriel Kay type way :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wanted to read this at some point - gimme a lend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

not if you keep on with that nickname thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

:dunno:
    I've just read it and I didn't think much of it.
    To be honest I wouldn't recommend the book.

You read any of Janny Wurts' stuff from The Wars of Light and Shadow onwards? She's got an acquired style of writing which I love, but I know plenty who find it offputting. Her books are not something whose pages you can flick through really quickly - but instead soak up the words, languages, and imagery she uses...

To RIde Hells Chasm is the only book I have read specifically by Wurts although I have read a series which he co-wrote with Feist. The one which starts with Daughter of the Empire and linked to Feist's riftwar series.

• Advertisement

Ah but the style employed in "To Ride Hell's Chasm" is more like her independent work. Some find it laborious and dull - which is yourself - but I just love her use of words. It's half the joy I find when reading her, savouring her use of language the way you would wine. Whereas Feist is brief and snappy, fast-paced. His plots move along A LOT faster but I'm prepared to like both worlds :)

The only thing I don't like about the book is the use of italics all over the place.

I've read pretty much everything else that she's written on her own and I think they're great too, so hey, perhaps you just don't like her style of writing.
    To RIde Hells Chasm is the only book I have read specifically by Wurts although I have read a series which he co-wrote with Feist.

Last time I checked Janny was a woman, she had an op? ;)

Actually, the first part of the book is online... http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/Version2/ToRideHellsChasmExcerpt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Aren't Feist & Wurts husband & wife?

Nope, he's married to Kathlyn Starbuck.

Originally posted by moridin

Last time I checked Janny was a woman, she had an op? ;)

A thousand apoligies; Janny Jan Jack John Jill....Who can keep track of it all:rolleyes:

My main gripe with the book, though, was when they "rode" Hell's Chasm (trying not to spoil it). It seemed too "Oh my God, no one's ever done it, they'll never make it, they're doooooomed....will you look at that..... they did it.....and lived hapily ever after." :dunno:

Can't really put it into words..... too exagerated/extreme/simplistic...?:dunno:

• Advertisement

ah, but the only reason they survived was cos
    he stuffed her in the horse carcass and got flown out by the kerrie
    otherwise they'd have died :p

Advertisement