Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can't connect to the internet with PPC

• 29-12-2003 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

hey guys!

i bought A3i, awesome device! very fast too!

it has wireless card

i can connect to my wireless router, the connection is "exellent" i can use ICQ, and all internet services but Internet Explorer :dunno: whenever i open it, and enter the website and click go it says: page you are looking for cannot be found

i don't know what's the problem, maybe someone can give an advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

Had the same problem on my ipaq 2210, connecting thru my wireless network at home using a vpn to irishwisp. I solved the problem by downloading and installing netfront 3.1 browser (www.pocketgear.com). I noticed with the vpn connection that any MS program that tried to connect to the net disconnected me from the vpn.

Have a go and let me know... there are a few good utilities that can help identify the problem, two I used are vxIPConfig and vxUtil

HTH

thanks for the apps!!!

very nice!

but the browser doesn't work! there is a problem with my network, i did a search in axim site and there were couple of guys who had this problem too, so i'm gonna go and read it

thanks again mate! the browser looks awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

did you put in the address for the dns server on your wireless card?

yep, the address of my router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

does your POP/IMAP email account work with the built in Inbox?

what way is your Internet Connetino toggle set in proxy settings:

Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced > Select Networks

depending if you are connecting direct to the Internet (first/top Edit button) or through a Network first (second/lower Edit button)

Proxy Settings
    Check box beside "This network connects to the Internet" should be checked...

BrianG

Definitely try the connection settings, I've spent a long time trying to get this to work. Also in vxutil, check if query time service works. If it does then dns should be okay.
    Stick with it, it's worth the effort.....

tryed everything! just doesn't work mate! time query works, IE and netfront don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

is your internet connection connected directly to your router or does it go through another pc?

Also - check your network card configuration has connects to the internet selected... I've a wireless cf network card and have hardcoded the settings for ip address, dns etc into it.. the main thing was to ensure it has my network card connects to the internet and I then use vpn settings under work network to connect.

It's not the easiest thing to configure, I upgraded from a 3870 to a 2210 just to try and get this to work...

Have you tried using a modem to connect using an ISP ? Infrared to mobile etc ?

• Advertisement

sorry DubWireless, missed your question

yea, inbox works fine!

and "This network connects to the Internet" is checked

i used "work" in network settings and in my wireless config options, i have tried changing but no help

Phreak - directly

jkb_dub i have ips and dns numbers correctly

i can connect to internet, everything works but IE yesterday, i ran VxUtil and played with it a little, i could "get" the webpage(script) the only options that didn't work were whois and quote! they were both saying "Error Connecting Socket"

have you checked for any patches/updates from Dell?

BrianG

no i didn't cause it was working fine!

the baddest thing is i don't remember since when did it start failling

so you've have had IE working ok over the WiFi connection previously?

BrianG

yea, when the wifi was off, IE used to say something i don't remember what but there was "dismiss" button appearing, and when you'd turn the wifi on, it'd just load the webpage, nothing like "the page you are looking for cannot be found"

CyberGhost,

Can you just check that the network card has connect to the internet ?
    Go to Connections, then the advanced tab and network card. In there ensure you have selected the internet and not work. PIE works differently depending on this setting.

Other than that I'm fairly stumped... have you looked at other websites www.pocketpcpassion.com / www.pocketpcthoughts.com / www.brighthand.com for anyone else with similar issues that have solved it ? I saw on pocketpcpassion some people using an Axim no problem so it should be possible..

have you tried starting from scratch and stepping through it again?

jkb - yea, it's set on Internet

Dub - i did a hard reset, and on a clean machine, internet worked fine! but i restored the previous config(where internet doesn't work)

many guys had problems like this on axim's forum, i tried everything guys there suggested each other, but nothing worked!

of course i can hard reset and start everything all over again, but that's an easy way out, i really want to find out what causes ie not to work, so i guess i'll start uninstalling apps one by one, maybe one of them causes the problem

Advertisement