Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one know of any Education/Student related forums??

• 29-12-2003 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Im trying to find a student forum, colleges own forums type thing, where i can get info from ppl that are doing the courses im interested in.

Does anyone know of any. Apart from this great boards section obviously.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey,

What courses are you interested in doing? We'll be able to help more then.

Also, if you're really serious it'd be really good to give the Students Union in whatever college you're interested in, and ask to talk to the class reps of the courses & they'll tell you lots of info.

UCG has an online forum here: http://www.sin.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

The area of work im interested in is planning and construction and am also considering architecture but not too sure about that. Takes a long time for architect qualification. 6 yrs plus 2 yrs practical experience before fully recognised.

Im trying to decide the best course to get into this general field of work.
    Courses specific to planning/regional development, are only available through Postgrad courses. So i need a degree first in a relevant disicipline. Relevant discipline being either a degree in civil engineering or construction science, ect.... Or a 2nd class Hons Arts degree in Geography/sociology, Economics.

The route im feeling more inclined towards at the moment is through the Arts degree in geography/sociology. My reasons being I love Geography related stuff, it`d be a generalish degree, so if i decide planning ect,,,, is not for me later down the road i`d still have a good degree and could still follow up with other different post-grads if I wished to do so.

Basically im looking for info referring to the material studyied, job opportunities, and experiences from students that are actually doing/done or know of anything on the following courses:

UCD
    Arts: Especially in relation to Geography, sociology, economics subjects.

Maynooth:
    Arts: Especially in relation to Geography, sociology, economics subjects.

DIT:
    Environmental planning + management. (This is 390 points and last yrs cut off point was 390.. Ive only 385 to play around with, but i could always put it down on the Cao i suppose.) Its a 4 yr degree.

Waterford:
    Architectural Technology: Can this actually lead to a qualified architect.

Carlow
    Construction - Architectural Technology: Again, Can this actually lead to a qualified architect.

Queens:
    Environmental Planning. (The only specific undergraduate course specific to planning in Ireland, that I can find anyway. (Apart from the DIT one.) Seems like a nice course, i`d be interested in. Wouldn`t mind talking to someone that done that course.

I have looked up a lot of info on these courses myself. Got all the college perspectus`s, ect,,, but theres only so much you can read. I`d like to get some opinions/feedbk from students that are on/doing these courses or are on similar courses.

All feedbk appreciated! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey,

Sounds like an interesting career choice.

If you can you should call up the college and see if you can talk to some of the different lecturers. That way you'll get a good feel for the courses, as well as calling the SU in the colleges as I suggested already.

If you can aswell, it'd be a good idea to contact companies/organizations that do that sort of thing and see what its like (if you could get a few weeks work experience somwhere too that'd be great!)

As for forums, you could check out: www.archeire.com it's for architects but there might be people in related fields on it.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Thanks, for that link P. Some interesting stuff there allright.

I was in touch with some of the lecturers, admissions ppl, of the various colleges and that. Most were very helpfull. I`d just like to get a students opinion on the courses now. See what the general thoughts are on the specific courses.

Ive till the 1st of Feb anyway to completely decide, so ive a month to research before fully committing myself to anything. When is the change of mind deadline with the Cao can anyone remember. I must look up that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ameliawillson

If you're looking for Education/Student-related forums, there are quite a few out there that cater to various academic needs. Also, if you ever need assignment help, you can check out myassignmenthelp.co.uk for some great resources and support. It’s a valuable site for students who need extra assistance with their studies!

Advertisement