Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion of new Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by syke
    A consoles forum was discussed a while back. Got alot of positive feedback if I remember, but never appeared.

How about a console forum instead?

This thread here? Doesn't really look like a lot of positive feedback to me. And also there was negative feedback.

Now, getting back to the new Toasters forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

What about a media forum to discuss - the print media?

Why not have a forum devoted to radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

will this new forum have a subforum devoted to classic consoles such as the SNES and the NES? do we really need both those categories since we can geniously put them toghether under the S/NES forum? the questions!! they BAFFLE!!!

adnans

lol

I love your new sig

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This has come up before and has been discussed to death before and as before I'm in two minds about but have yet to be convinced to alter the status quo. Things like Kotor (PC and Xbox) and Prince Of Persia (PS2 and PC) can be discussed under the one forum or we end up with two threads which would be better as one.

Whats really needed are what are called "views" in Database terms... multiple ways for a user to look at the same set of records (threads, posts...). I'd settle for VB3.0 to be honest.

While the argument has pros and cons I just dont think its a runner. Perhaps an Xbox Live forum for people to organise online games etc between Irish folk but then Xbox Live itself is supposed to be pretty good at that sort of thing.

Feel free to change my mind but it just doesnt seem really necessary and divides the Games forum quite a bit... I'll mull over it until it (inevitably) comes up again.

Gotta love Blue Wings attitude though. Nice.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Actually, while we're throwing suggestions out, how about merging the likes of webgames, strategy, racing games etc back with the Games forum? There's feck all traffic on them and visiting them all individually is a pain in the hole.

(Not that I visit the webgames forum, mind.)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how about a monty python forum

you gotta love the python

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Devore I was just trying to get something sorted - Being shot down by loads of ignorant people doesnt help my attitude at all... They refuse to see what I was asking for - an ONLINE Console gaming forum - not so much to discuss games, but to discuss the Online aspect of them.

Xbox Live! Is taking off in Ireland in a big way -- And if you leave yourself without a forum for all the xbox Live users, I just dont see it as a step forward.

Previously A forum for consoles like xbox or Gamecube etc wouldve been pointless - But an Online forum - For the likes of XBOX live and PS2 Online - Doesnt seem so pointless with increasing users being drawn to that type of gaming daily.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They refuse to see what I was asking for - an ONLINE Console gaming forum - not so much to discuss games, but to discuss the Online aspect of them.

You see, that might have been because your original post didnt actually contain the word "online" at all.... its just a thought...

DeV.

Devore:

"There have been increasing amounts of users on Xbox live, and I think appropriately an Xbox forum should be created for these users"

"An online console Gaming forum would be nice then :)"

Thats what I requested, then I was repeatedly shot down, and then I expanded it to include other online console games in the hopes some sort of forum would be created. Yes maybe I wasnt as clear as I shouldve been, but its relatively clear now.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BluE-WinG
    Devore I was just trying to get something sorted

Where's the problem you want to sort? Are X-box live users being opressed on Games?

- Being shot down by loads of ignorant people doesnt help my attitude at all...

You haven't exactly gained a huge amount of support for your proposal. How is that helping your attitude? Do you call everyone who doesn't agree with you ignorant? Isn't that a bit arrogant?

They refuse to see what I was asking for - an ONLINE Console gaming forum - not so much to discuss games, but to discuss the Online aspect of them.

And you refuse to accept negative feedback on your suggestion (which as Dev says wasn't what you are now saying.)

Xbox Live! Is taking off in Ireland in a big way -- And if you leave yourself without a forum for all the xbox Live users, I just dont see it as a step forward.

I've reread Games' charter and looked at the moderators posts on Games and again I can't see why you can't simply post your X-box live threads on Games. In fact you have posted there about the X-box live. I ask you again, where is the problem you wish to sort?

Previously A forum for consoles like xbox or Gamecube etc wouldve been pointless - But an Online forum - For the likes of XBOX live and PS2 Online - Doesnt seem so pointless with increasing users being drawn to that type of gaming daily.

Why does the online aspect of gaming need a new forum? Pc games have had an online aspect for years yet did not require a new forum. With the spread of the internet most games will have at least a certain amount of multiplayer/online support in the future. Gaming evolves, new games get new features. Should we create new forums for every new aspect of gaming?

Try and see longterm on this one Blue-wing. A forum is for the life of boards.ie, not just for Christmas. :)

Amp

I have been a PC Lanner for close on 8years. Its a great hobbie.
    Recently I went out and tried XBOX Live!
    So professionly done - Instant World Rankings - It appeals to me as a bit of lighter entertainment after a PC lan, Not as serious but loads of fun.

Its here to stay.

So what? Why are you telling me this? Why do we need a seperate forum? Please help me, I'm so ignorant next to your massive amounts of experience.

Stop it the both of you.

There is no reason to create this forum. There is no reason to have created any of the sub-forums under Games, but we have. The suggestion has been made and its merit or lack thereof is NOT reliant on Blue-Wings communication/argument skills. Such as they are :)

Who was it said: "An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it" ?

Its an idea, it should be considered. It may be rejected after being considered. It may not. Clearly Amp is opposed and Blue Wing is in favour. Others may have some thoughts but if you two continue to bash each other on the head like the Cavemen from Wacky Racers they arent going to venture in here and offer them now are they.

Points taken. Processing, please wait....

DeV.

I saw something lacking on boards.ie - So I asked for it.
    Im sure MANY other boards.ie users have also gone looking for a similar forum, and been unable to find it.

We are also lacking a forum for Java enabled toasters. That doesnt mean we should create one immediately. There is a dividing line between usefullness vs navigation clutter. You're contention is that this is sufficently useful to merit creation. Amps contention is that it is not.

Can I be any clearer?

DeV.

Given that Blue-Wing posted the thread in the first place I believe and the fact that I co-moderate the Games forum I believe it's entirely appropriate that we debate the issue.

I merely asked a simple question that Blue-Wing consistently doesn't answer. That I parodied his arrogance is a side issue.

I'll ask the question again:

Why does Blue-Wing feel that Games is not a suitable place to post about X-box live?

wackyracesgbbox.jpg

I have no problem with the pair of you debating the issue. Dominating it is another thing entirely :)

This isnt a knock-down drag-out gladiator tournament. It doesnt have to be "to the death".... both sides have points, I mean, why cant CS people post in Games too? Yet we have a CS forum... which came first the chicken or the egg... the forum or the volume?

Turn the argument around, it could be equally asked "why are you opposed to an XBox Live forum?"

I'll say again, Blue Wings inability or otherwise to provide you with a decent answer to your question doesnt impinge on the validity of the request. Someone could very well ask for something good for completely assinine reasons.... should we refuse the request simply because they dont have good reasons for asking or should we consider the request on its own merits.

You beating BW in an argument is a poor way to decide the future direction of the site or anything for that matter :):)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by DeVore
    We are also lacking a forum for Java enabled toasters. That doesnt mean we should create one immediately. There is a dividing line between usefullness vs navigation clutter. You're contention is that this is sufficently useful to merit creation. Amps contention is that it is not.

Can I be any clearer?

DeV.

I've noticed the lackage of the "Java enabled toasters" forumn but i thought it was just me. didn't want to say anything about the emporeors clothes an all.

Amp

Because this is what it would look like :

Posting Subject

Xbox Live : Gamertag Issues
    Xbox Live : Project Gotham 2 Rankings
    Xbox Live : Help with connection issues
    Xbox Live : Lan happening 05 February 04

ETC.

I think its pointless to write in Xbox Live before all of the threads that I would start. Hence a forum is born..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore
    I have no problem with the pair of you debating the issue. Dominating it is another thing entirely :)

Are BW's and I's posts preventing other people from posting? I see Peace has just posted, so I guess not.

This isnt a knock-down drag-out gladiator tournament. It doesnt have to be "to the death".... both sides have points,

Ah now you're exagerating. As I said, highlighting BW's arrogance is a side issue.

I mean, why cant CS people post in Games too?
    Yet we have a CS forum... which came first the chicken or the egg... the forum or the volume?

CS isn't a fair example. It's the most popular online worldwide PC game created back when boards were created for almost any popular (or presumed that they would be popular) fps'. CS took off. Quake and Unreal died.

Turn the argument around, it could be equally asked "why are you opposed to an XBox Live forum?"

Because X-box live is a new phenomen. We all thought that Unreal Tournament would become the most popular game on the net but it wasn't. X-box Live may well become the world's most popular gaming platform. Even if it does, we'll still play games on it and where better to discuss than Games?

I'd also argue against it based on time and traffic. There's about 4 threads relating to the X-box in Games at the moment. It certainly isn't dominating Games like me and Blue Wing are dominating this thread. Time wise X-box live may not take off. It might die. It's a console and consoles have limited life spans. Why is there no Dreamcast forum? Why no Atari Jaguar? Just because Blue-wing says it's here to say don't make it so.

I'll say again, Blue Wings inability or otherwise to provide you with a decent answer to your question doesnt impinge on the validity of the request. Someone could very well ask for something good for completely assinine reasons.... should we refuse the request simply because they dont have good reasons for asking or should we consider the request on its own merits.

Of course we should, some of the best idea's come from the stupidist people. I'm offering my opinion about this idea. I wanted to know why BW feels that Games is an unsuitable place to discuss X-box live. If he gave me an answer then I could maybe address his concerns. By asking that question I am making the point that there is no need for a seperate forum. Games is a suitable place to discuss X-box Live thus in my opinion rendering this thread redundant.

From what I can see from other people posted opinions (somehow avoiding the domination of this thread by myself and BW) a lot of people are sick of people requesting new forums. I've supported new forum threads in the past that I thought were a good idea. This isn't one of them.

You beating BW in an argument is a poor way to decide the future direction of the site or anything for that matter :):)

Ah you got me. The only reason I'm posting in this thread is to beat BW. Somehow I think that beating BW in an argument will decide this issue because you will create or not create a new forum depending on the result.

Here's a summary of this thread from my viewpoint:

BW: New X-box live forum? Opinions?
    amp: Why not discuss in Games?
    BW: X-box live very popular!
    BW: X-box live very popular!
    Dev: Stop hitting each other!

The above is not an argument. I asked for clarity on why BW feels that Games isn't a suitable place to discuss X-box Live. He won't give it. He keeps basically saying that X-box live is really popular. The onus is not on me to prove that Games is a suitable place to discuss X-box live.

In my opinion anybody who dreams up a new forum idea should think about it long and hard before making the request. Maybe that might stop the tide of stupid new board requests that plague Feedback/Suggestions.

Now it could have gone this way:

BW: New X-box live forum? Opinions?
    BW: [insert good reason why Games isn't a suitable place to discuss X-box Live here]
    amp: Oh I see, fair enough so.
    Dev: [insert decision on forum creation or not here]

I will however desist from using sarcasm and parodying to make my points in the future of this thread. Obviously all posters with suggestions must be taken seriously, and any flaws in their points must not be highlighted. At least not by one person. Glad you made that clear. Please feel free to patronise us both further.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If it makes you feel better amp, I'm with a chick right now.

Amp

Posting Subject

I don't understand you. Are you saying that Games would be flooded with X-box tagged posts? If so, so what? Lan events should be announced in Lan Parties but I don't mind them being linked in Games.

I think its pointless to write in Xbox Live before all of the threads that I would start. Hence a forum is born..

You would start all the threads yourself? I don't understand this bit either. Could you explain what you mean? Maybe you mean that if there was an X-box Live forum that it would generate it's own traffic? In other words, if we build it they will come?

Well it's possible that they would. However this approach has been tried before and has a limited chance of success.

Now, in the interests of a compromise I suggest that we try a third approach. Make the X-box Live forum a public community forum. If it succeeds over a number of months then move it into the Game heirarchy, if it doesn't, well no harm no foul.

If it makes you feel better amp, I'm with a chick right now.

Does she have a toaster... I mean a sister?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Amp

Posting Subject

ETC.

Yes, and all of them would be replied to by more people and at greater speed if they were in the general games forum.

There is no real surge of Xbox Live, most of them are repeats of what some one asked a week ago.

NekkidBibleMan has made the clearest point about why this is a bad idea… when talking about the sub forums - webgames, strategy, racing games…

“There's feck all traffic on them and visiting them all individually is a pain in the hole.”

Amp

*points at megalan thread*

Virtually no posts on it in the last 6 months.

*laughs*

Xbox thread would be more popular than that.

Nuf said.

Amp tbh If you think this is SUCH a bad Idea -

MegaLAN shouldve been put under Lan Parties.

It is the exact same catagory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Amp

*points at megalan thread*

Virtually no posts on it in the last 6 months.

*laughs*

Xbox thread would be more popular than that.

Nuf said.

The last post was:
    28-12-2003 20:16
    by elexes

A mere 3 days ago.

Another thing to think about is that megalan won't actually be happening for another couple of months and is a once/twice a year event.
    Amp tbh If you think this is SUCH a bad Idea -

MegaLAN shouldve been put under Lan Parties.

It is the exact same catagory.

So since megalan is a Lan party it should be put under Lan parties right.

Why wouldn't xbox Games be put under Games?

now in fairness, i don't own an xbox, i don't want to own an xbox and i don't know anyone who does own an xbox....so i have no vested interest either way this thing goes.

Basically all i'm saying is that i'm saying nothin...

The point Im trying to make is there are some smaller forums out there with not alot of activity. Im trying to say that an Xbox forum might not be one of these, and it might take off as a proper thread.

Fine. Clearly we arent going to have a logical argument from any one here. BW's stupid post about Megalan pushed me over the edge. Thread locked, I'll decide to do this or not and keep my own counsel. Bug me about this and get banned.

Nuff said.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by amp
    From what I can see from other people posted opinions (somehow avoiding the domination of this thread by myself and BW) a lot of people are sick of people requesting new forums. I've supported new forum threads in the past that I thought were a good idea. This isn't one of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I may well be here, but do you respond to any new board suggestions on here that would compete with games in a favourable manner? "Why not post on the games forum?" is a perfectly valid question, but we don't need to be beaten over the head with it. Anyway, boards has repeatedly shown that users will very often crawl out and discuss these things if you create the board.

Ah, just noticed the thread was locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement