Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a multi region Sony DVD player

Options
  • 29-12-2003 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new DVD player. I would like to get a sony as it will mean one less remote control (Sony Amp remote will also control DVD). It has to have DTS and has to be multi-region. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I dont have a particular dvd player to suggest but perhaps you should find a dvd player that meets all of your specs apart from the multi region bit that you know you can hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I was under the impression that some Sony's cannot be hacked. They require a chip to enable multi region playback.

Would love to be wrong on this one though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Which is why you should get one that you are SURE can be hacked ;). anyways there is one on amazon on special atm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000X5LII/ref=br_ac_top5_1_1/qid=1072716797/sr=1-1/202-7474725-8703824

There is a multi region one at a nice price mind. DOesnt seem to meet any of the rest of your specs though :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Bought this DVD player from Amazon for Xmas and it's brilliant. Plays discs from all regions instantly - you don't even have to select which region when putting a disc in. It's totally region free, just pop in the disc and play. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    I was under the impression that some Sony's cannot be hacked. They require a chip to enable multi region playback.

Would love to be wrong on this one though. :D

Shane - Most of the Sony DVP range of players can be converted to mutli-region as follows :

http://www.selen.org/sonydvd.html

I bought a DVP-NS330 in DID this Christmas and "converted" to multi-region this evening using the IR port on my laptop in about 5 minutes once I discovered that it CANNOT be done with the software using Windows 2000.

In the end I created a Windows 95 bootdisk and re-booted the machine from the floppy disk - then ran the software and hey presto !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interesting link there Couch Potato. I'd have bought the 330 this christmas but I didn't fancy the wait with postage (rather disorganised for the past few weeks) so I got a philips instead.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Interesting link there Couch Potato. I'd have bought the 330 this christmas but I didn't fancy the wait with postage (rather disorganised for the past few weeks) so I got a philips instead.

I assume it is multi-region ???:)

Originally posted by Couch Potato

If not try http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Couch Potato
    Oh it is. That was an absolute must.

(even though I've only one R1 dvd at the moment, it does happen to be my favourite movie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by sceptre
    (even though I've only one R1 dvd at the moment, it does happen to be my favourite movie)

My favourite is R1 as well ..... Finding Nemo

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Truckle
    Which is why you should get one that you are SURE can be hacked ;). anyways there is one on amazon on special atm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000X5LII/ref=br_ac_top5_1_1/qid=1072716797/sr=1-1/202-7474725-8703824

There is a multi region one at a nice price mind. DOesnt seem to meet any of the rest of your specs though :o.

Yea, and it's soooooo ugly.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by ADSLUSER
    Plays discs from all regions instantly - you don't even have to select which region when putting a disc in.

None of them make you select the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Got the Sony 930 from www.techtronics.com

Great player and good service from techtronics. They chip them themselves. Region is auto selected and they also play RCE disks, a of multi region fixes will not play RCE disks.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Purchased the Sony DVP-NS330 from Munster Sounds. It has the DTS sound output, is multi region (don't have any RCE so can't check that) and it is a sony so my Amp remote controls it (now down to four remotes).

Also plays mp3s which my last player did not. Not sure if mp3s were around 4 years ago when I bought it. :D

Advertisement