Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie DVD compatible with Irish TV?

Options
  • 29-12-2003 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I have a problem:

I brought home a multi region Home Theatre from Aus, but I can't get any picture coming up on the tv - sound is fine, but just a blank screen. I'm using phono to scart plugs, and have tried every combination going, but it won't come up.

I've tried on 2 tele's now, but no joy.

Anyone know what I can do?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You probably need an NTSC TV . pure European TV's are all PAL or PAL and SECAM in France and Russia but the Aussies use the US NTSC standard ISTR

M

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sounds like a diff problem, try different leads to check them, if u watch an ntsc dvd/player on a non ntsc tv u will get picture but itll be in b/w and probably a bit fuzzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

My aunt came back from Australia with a newish Aussie TV, It worked fine here with a dvd player,video, so they almost certainly use PAL. The only difference is the sound carrier is not the same. But you should get a picture OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Australian DVD's (and players) are in PAL (Region 4) so it should play back through the scart lead. Check the leads I reckon. Or perhaps try scart-to-scart or SVideo-to-scart if those connectors are available.

BTW, the sound carrier thing only applies to TV transmissions (PAL B/G vs PAL I) and input via the RF tuner. Does not apply to scart/phono connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Originally posted by Zaphod

BTW, the sound carrier thing only applies to TV transmissions (PAL B/G vs PAL I) and input via the RF tuner. Does not apply to scart/phono connections.

yup, I meant to say that :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Thanks for the help guys - prob still not sorted yet though, unfortunately.

Yep, Zaphod's right - it is a Pal player, so that shouldn't be the prob.

I bought a DVD to TV kit off the friendly lads at DID today, which included the scart adaptor to convert the phono and S Video signals into the Scart signal. (aussies don't use scart leads like we do). Unfortunately none of the connections on it fixes the problem, even including the S-Video one.

I've tried it on a third new tele now, didn't work on that either. And i'd no problems hooking this up in Oz either, so i'm pretty sure its not just me being thick.

Is there anyway of hooking it up to the tele the old school way, just with an oul analog aerial signal and tuning in the tele??

Also, 3 other video signal plugs are on the dvd (meant to be used together), Y/Pb(Cb) / Pr(Cr) - anyone know if these are used over this side?

This is all odd, and am starting to think it got bashed around in transit, even though the surround sound stuff works perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions above, any more are very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Muck
    You probably need an NTSC TV . pure European TV's are all PAL or PAL and SECAM in France and Russia but the Aussies use the US NTSC standard ISTR
    Naw, as Zaphod said the ozzies use PAL. Which is nice, as lots of DVDs are R2/4 compatible rather than just R2.

mollser, is there a standard RFout socket on the player? (in other words, if there a socket that you can plug into using the standard cable that you're probably using with your VCR?)

Advertisement