Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siemens SX1

• 29-12-2003 8:39pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭

Hello Everybody,

Thinking of buying a SX1 (i think that is the model) so what are anybody's thoughts on this phone.

Thanks,
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its meant to be one of the best implementations of the Series 60 platform. I read a prettyt comprehensive review of it recently and the main criticism for it was the amount of free software pre loaded. Seemingly you get used to the button layout after a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

it is a nice handset - has been delayed several times though - first go I had was back in March - so it's suffered the same fate as the P800... announced perhaps a little too prematurely... it was also still in it's early days it was more a hardware demo as the software was still being 'tweaked'...

siemens_sx1_cebit03_devices.ie.jpg

had another go more recently (in October) and it was far more refined (stable) and was much impressed - if only they had got it out earlier as it would have taken more of the limelight before the Nokia 6600 was released....

although it still has some advantages over the 6600, cable connection; FM radio, and doesn't look like it needs a work out regime to get rid any love-handles ;)

the MMC card slot is not under the battery like on with Nokia's Series 60 handsets - it's at the side under it's own door but the manual states the MMC Card must be removed only when the phone is switched off, because otherwise the contents could be destroyed... hmm doesn't sound like they are encouraging hot-swapping of cards with that statement...

personally I found the keypad layout a little awkward - perhaps it takes a bit (or a lot!) of getting used to like the 3650 and then it would be fine - it does allow an opportunity for some interesting apps to be developed to make use of the keypad running down the edges of the screen for portrait and landscape orientation....

you might also want to take a look at the Sendo X another Series 60 handset with some impressive specs...

and a quick review on allboutsymbian.com...

it's only just out so you’re in for high prices as stock distribution kicks off - if you want to save a bit of cash and can wait a bit your likely to see the early-adopter pricing settle in a little while

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by DubWireless
    and a quick review on allboutsymbian.com...

That there be the review i read :)

The feature list is everything the 6600 should have been, MP3 player, radio and so on..

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i am trying to get a sendo x no matter what the costs I have tried everywere but still no joy. By the way people the greatest invention ever it has to be the blackberry from O2 I have one on trial and lets just say they are the dogs so handy. Is it possible with these series 60 smart phones to get some sort of a push based email system going. I am using an exchange server by the way.

Thanks,
    TCP/IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    i am trying to get a sendo x no matter what the costs I have tried everywere but still no joy.

it's hasn't been released yet - so that might be why you are having difficulty ;)

By the way people the greatest invention ever it has to be the blackberry from O2 I have one on trial and lets just say they are the dogs so handy.

never been a big fan of their devices for personal use - they do their task well (especially in the enterptise) but if i'm going to be carrying a device around I prefer it to offer more functionality - anyhow most of the smartphones can be set to poll for email at regular intervals which is enough for me

Is it possible with these series 60 smart phones to get some sort of a push based email system going. I am using an exchange server by the way.

no BlackBerry functionality as yet on the Series 60, although there was a release in March '03 about RIM planning to provide BlackBerry functionality to Symbian licensees - but nothing rolled out as yet

the best email tool for the Series 60 i've used is from Cibenix called Active Mail with a highly configurable email scheduling and polling fuctionality

aside: windows mobile 2003 devices have an sms triggered email 'push' using MS Exchange Server 2003

BrianG

• Advertisement
Advertisement