Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3

Options
  • 03-02-2000 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

So...seriously...what does everyone think about Quake 3....I personally think it's the ****test game to hit the shelves since prince of persia!!

i stink

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

personally i dont think its as good as either of the first 2 inthe quake series

its pretty, but theres just something about it i just cant pin down.
    however, since most of my experience is in single player mode, i cant really say.....but it sucks big time on my connection so playing multiplayer is pretty much a non starter.
    i did enjoy capture the flag however...the grapple was the singular worst addition ever made to ctf. ruined it in my opinion.

but then again, i dont really like dm that much anymore, which is why i love UT CTF so much, as well as the fact that the netcode is so incredibly better and infinately more playable
    like i said, opinion could change if i were able to lay q3a over the net...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

WTF, messing aside, when Prince came out in 1991 or whenever it was the best game ever, I remember playing it for hours, if not days on my 386. I'll have no trash talk about pop! (NOT THAT ONE THEY RELEASED A FEW MONTHS AGO WAS UTTER ****E-I'll sell a US copy for a fiver to anyone!)

On the subject of Q3 I am very serious that IMHO it is the best FPS ever done. It is the most fun and it looks great. In my own opinion (IE I fully know others will have different opinion) It beats the **** out of any game that has come in the past, or present!

Now if anyone could figure out a way for me to get back playing it I would be very very (etc) greatfull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The Bra!n

LOL! Best game ever?
    WWmans point is valid, gameplay sucks unless ur LPB. Netcode sux, so your left with a basically crap single player game against bots with the wit of a q2 Eraser bot.

UT netcode may have higher ping, but it's more fair to HPBs than Q3... smile.gif

Get that fixed ID and q3 has a future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭The Anarchist

I smell a Donegan on the server for some strange apparent reason.!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

UT all the way... It's just plain more fun. The weapons in it are original and cool; the levels are varied and well-designed; the flow of play rocks; the netcode is good; and the CTF is the greatest thing since sliced bread smile.gif

Ja,
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

The weapons in it are original and cool

lol my **** smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I think q3 is the dogs ******, I'm on a modem and the lag isn't THAT bad. A bit worse then QW but still livable with.

I know I'v slagged UT a bit but to be honest I have only ever played the demo a bit at Dublan (I even got to the final of the instagib tourney smile.gif ) It just dosent have that FEEL that q3 has. I really can't describe it but it just seems more like QW, which lets face it ****es on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

HPB's are at no more a disadvantage in Q3 than they were in Q2. A good LPB in Q3 qill rail yer ass, will tear u apart with plasmagun etc. Just like an LPB in Q2, swap chaingun for plasma.

the netcode is different, and it takes a while to get used to it, and when you've a crap conn, the prediction can do yer head in.

but Q3 has strafe jumping, and UT doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Fu<k that, I'm on a 33.6 modem and I can play games on British servers on 180ms ping, unbelievably smooth (as long as there are no more than 5 in the server) using Gamespy. I play UT daily on a LAN in college and I can tell you that Q3 deathmatch is faster and more hectic than UT DM. IMO though, UT kicks the sh1t out of Q3 in the long run, with all the extra features, nicer graphics and the best CTF I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

and whats more Anarchist, its a bored Donegan

• Advertisement

Is'nt it true gerry that the surname Donegan originated fron an old Indian Tribal ****?

W A N K

dodgy netcode my tits!

I was playing every night, I betcha the ppl complaining of dodgy netcode are on a combo, or one of..

a) Free ISP's
    b) Esat Surf No Limits (or similar)

or C) a 1891 dial up (look at eircom's routing!)

That is eircom and/or ****e ISP's my friends not netcode!
    1891 is grand sometimes but not at peak time, and bar its peak time saving its a pain in the **** , but TBH I will let all the pe0ns use it forever!

Personally I have both an IOL and a Tinet for gaming, and surf no limits for IRC and ****e! I play games on UK servers (WP and BW)

I find Q3 and UT fine 99% of the time, but usually play later at night (after 10.30-11). But remember at peak time all games will be ****ty in UK or US servers as Irelands bandwith to these places is ****e! This aint netcode folks!

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 04-02-2000).]

that may be true vagga about the connections, but lets face it, unless your on isdn, then most ppl are playin on free isps etc.
    i be one of them, and UT is more stable and playable..and thats the whole point. i dont find q3 stable or playable. and sico, it may be true that your fine until the server gets more than players, but youve prolly played a great game of whatever with about 16 players and it kicks ass. whats the poaint of playing only 4 other players when you SHOULD at least be able to play more if you want to?

i play on UT ctf wireplay server 7 with 16 on a regular basis and it is so much fun.
    if i could play q3 with 10 players that would be fun too, but alas i cant. i just dont see the point of only being able to join a server with a certain amount of ppl and then having to leave coz some inconsiderate person joins and makes it 6 ppl on the server
    so all in all, its still the net code.
    if UT can make theres run with all these obsticles, why cant q3 do the same????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah but the connection to the quake3 ign servers absolutely sucks. Thats the problem. If we had good Irish servers. we wouldnt need to worry so much about Irelands connection to england. I for one would be prepared to pay a small fee for
    better Irish servers

discussion to be continued Messers @ 7.30 smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

There will be no such discussion later in Messrs ... please.

frown.gif

i think you'll find that if anyone talks about quake they'll get an earful about geeks and 'why dont you get a llife' and why dont you have a girlfriend' from da missus smile.gif

just dont mention the fact that she loves instagib and swears at the pc when she gets killed wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Going back to the topic, unfortunately smile.gif, I was in a 16-player FFA in Q3DM1 on a UK server and it was very playable. It could be because it's such a small map though. But still, I was kicking buttock at 400 ms ping (there's definitely a bit of the auld Quakeworld magic going on there). I've yet to play UT on the internet though. And Q3 on a LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

in my opinion the difference between ut and q3 are as follows: ut beats the **** out of q3 as a single player game. ut wins on the variety of stuff you can do and the new dm modes [assault, domination etc.]. ut has a superior(ish) netcode that doesnt penalise hpb ppl too much. now the big BUT.
    q3 is more fun, more traditional, the physics are nicer its got all the good bits of qw and q2, and on a more nebulous note, when you run around a level you feel bigger and fatter than you do in ut. when i play ut i feel like a match stick man; too high off the ground or something. when i play q3 or qw they've got it just right. q3 will definitely last the longer as far as im concerned. ut? well thought out, brilliantly executed and pretty to boot. a supermodel.
    q3? slightly plainer, dumpier, but sooo much more fun than her supermodel sister. goodnight

• Advertisement
Advertisement