Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a DVD VCR Combi?

Options
  • 30-12-2003 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

My VCR is making a nasty motor noise and I've been wondering about joining the DVD revolution, I was hoping the price of recording DVDs had fallen a little more than they have (another years wait!) so is a combi the best way foward?

Anyone got one and if so is it any good..I was looking at this model which sems like a good value/features mix.
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=TOS-SD23VB&clear=

Mike.

Comments

Mike,
    I'd avoid them like the plague and stay in a few w/ends after Chrimbo, and use the money saved as the extra for a dvd recorder.
    Or better still leave NTL and subscribe to sky plus-less need for the lenten weekends and it's a bloomin brilliant device :)

A cheap €50 video from lidl or aldi when they have them or power city or summat would do the rest of the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Well my sister got a philips one last year and she has had no problems with it! Not sure of model number.

What kinda problems have people encountered with the combos? Would be interested to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If the dvds have macrovision encoding on them chances are they wont play properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

personally i wouldnt buy a combo for the plain reason that if one part of it breaks then you are screwed.. and for the price you can get really good seperate units, and unless you have a really small shelf that you need to fit them both into id stay away from the combo's

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I'd agree with everyone else. Seperates are best unless you're stuck for space.

Note that if you order one from UK, it possibly won't have a VHF tuner which may be a problem depending on what bands (VHF/UHF) you use for TV signals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Good Sanyo DVD - E115
    Entry Level Sanyo Video - E100

Sanyo DVD/VCR Combi - E299 +

Dont bother buying combi's, not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thanks everyone, you've talked me out of it! Byte I'd forgotten about the VHF/UHF thing...(was'nt that just a ploy by the government here to force ppl to pay stupid prices for tvs..?)

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by mike65
    Byte I'd forgotten about the VHF/UHF thing...(was'nt that just a ploy by the government here to force ppl to pay stupid prices for tvs..?)

Mike.

Hmm, quite possible. Mind you, my gf was given a Alba VCR for Xmas which was purchased in Dublin but when I went to tune it in, I had to give her the bad news that the VCR was no good for recording as it was UHF only (She's in a Chorus cable area where ALL channels are VHF).

I'd assume that Dublin cable is UHF (otherwise this VCR would be no good in Dublin where it was bought either)?

Advertisement