Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sending New Years SMS Messages

• 30-12-2003 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Can this be doing using webtext from o2?

You are entitled to 250 free SMSs per month.

Do they charge for the ones you send at a particuler time?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

it's gonna be chaos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

Forget about MMS's too, seen as almost every teenager in Ireland has an O2 X1 or a Nokia 3200!!! My pic msgs take 3 or 4 attempts to send now!

It will be chaos on new years though, every man for himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

They send first time every time on meteor and the other person starts to recieve it straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Celticwarrior
    They send first time every time on meteor and the other person starts to recieve it straight away!

Yeah, if you are sending to Meteor. If O2s SMSC falls over, no matter what you do, your messages will not deliver to O2 customers. The same applies to all networks...

All three network operators SMS service were pretty stable this Christmas. The only problems I noticed were sending MMS or connection to Live with Vodafone. And that was purely to do with the sheer amount of people accessing the services. Anyone rememeber back in the day on Christmas and New Years trying to send am SMS or make a call, absolutely impossible.

Do they charge for the ones you send at a particuler time?

Think about it..... NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

they do charge you if you go over 250 in a month. the question though is which month's free message tally your sms is charged against - the month you set it up or the month it actually gets sent.

you might want to look at using group text, you get every 3rd message for free. i read this to mean if you use the web site to send group texts, you use up 2 free messages for every three people you send your message to. disclaimer: i have never actually tried this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

there was a small news bite about this today over on ZDNet

Vodafone as "Ireland's most popular mobile network" (as they put it) has always been unreliable for me on New Year's Eve and turns more into Ireland's sluggish and congested mobile network - suppose it makes sence if it's so 'popular' ;)

so decided to send all my new year texts this evening - which resulted in many replies from my smart ass friends telling me new years eve wasn't until tomorrow :rolleyes: - you can't win sometimes :D

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Anyone rememeber back in the day on Christmas and New Years trying to send am SMS or make a call, absolutely impossible.
    Heh, I remember back on millenium eve. We didn't even have Meteor, and customer bases were probably half of what they are now. Networks were still congested for 2 hours+ though :D

I don't see the big deal. Last year, Vodafone's network was congested for 30 minutes tops. That's no biggie for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Hell even in Japan they are limiting the use of their network for new years eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Try scheduling your SMS's ahead of time on the O2 Web2SMS interface. It might make no difference, or it may put it ahead of all the other lemmings in the cue.
    Originally posted by crowbar
    the question though is which month's free message tally your sms is charged against - the month you set it up or the month it actually gets sent.
    The month it's sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i sent all my 087 mates/family a happy new years text from the vodafone website, i set it to deliver them at midnight, sent one to myself to be sure it worked, all arrived at 2 mins after midnight, didnt get any replies for 20 mins, then got 20 texts in the space of 5 mins,boy did i look popular

• Advertisement
Advertisement