Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have the ability to delete comments from our photopost galleries?

Options
  • 30-12-2003 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Please?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Why? So you can just keep all the ones saying "OH YOU LOOK FAB DARLING" and delete ones which are slightly derogatory? Pft, you must really need the ego-boost.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Despite the trolly manner of oeNeo's post, I think he has a point. Mind you if a person has a photopost forum, it shouldn't automatically become a trolling ground such as we've seen happen to certain people's images and photos. Anyway, opinions from both sides welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I take oeNeo's point, but whatever ego I may or may not have is not actually my reasoning behind the request.

I paid for my subscribers account and that includes the photopost gallery. If people post offensive crap on my gallery, I'd like to be able to delete it, just as I could delete offensive content posted to a board I moderate, and just as I can delete replies to journal entries.

If people are posting offensive crap (and I don't doubt that they are) then it's something to be reported even if you don't have the ability to edit their comments (which may not be practical in the short term anyway).

I've banned a user in the past due to offensive photopost comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Have to take the good with the bad I say

• Advertisement

so that's a "no" then?

Originally posted by Bard
    so that's a "no" then?

Interpret it how you want but I haven't tried to be ambiguous.

Eh, fair enough.

I just find it strange how we can delete comments on our journal entries but not our photopost gallery images.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Fair point, although a journal entry is very specifically the expression of the author, while a picture may be of anyone or anything (and frequently is).

I'm undecided on this, just raising counter-arguments.

If people actually do use that to boost their egos... well, so what, in fairness... it's theirs. I actually think the point that it's something we've paid for the use of is important enough and allowing us more control over it in this way would be a pretty fair thing to do.

• Advertisement

I couldn't care less about your ego.

Let me put it another way;

If I post a picture of you and proceed to let everyone post abusive and derogatory comments about the image, am I the sole decider of what is acceptable based upon the fact that I am the owner of the album? I would say no. That is not to say that such editorial control by the owner of the album is bad or undesirable, just to demonstrate that it is obviously not the only form of editorial control that applies. Often it is associated with other abuse occuring on boards, in which case it should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I'm not quite sure about this- however, photos may not necessarily be of the member-people may not be too happy if abusive comments were posted underneath some of the photos they post eg if they were of other people..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

They shouldnt post without people's permission then.
    If that was the case then the whole pic should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Or the ability to post anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I do agree with bard to an extent, and with the fact that you can delete comments from your journal, it's a valid arguement that has merit, I believe. The fact is, that there's a hell of a lot of muppets using the photopost simply to troll people, so I should think, that ego issues aside, it's the best course of action.

Either that, or we get a photopost moderator, who perhaps has to go through the comments before they're actually posted? Sort of like unregistered posts on PI. I know for a fact that if half the stuff that went on in photopost had gone on in the after hours board, the culprits would have felt the iron fist of Monty.

If the 'Ego-boost' is such an issue, maybe it would be an idea to give the owner of the photopost gallery control over comments, but not ratings?
    Simple, I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭usualsuspect

I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it such derogatory comments could be libel - not sure who would be legally responsible though, the poster for making the comments or the site admins for publishing them and not providing funcionality to moderate. Still, I don't even know what these 'photopost galleries' are or why you would have one in the first place..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I can see both Bard's and ecksor's points, but surely not giving the ability to control the content in your own photopost area is putting a lot more work on the shoulders of the admins?

On the otherside of the argument, very rarely is anything said so bad that it can't be left there until someone comes to remove it.

Is there any general consensus among or decision by the admins on this matter?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I didnt see this before.
    Personally I would agree that if a sponsor has paid for it then he/she shouldnt have to put up with abuse on it.

On the other hand if someone is abusing a sponsor's photopost area, I would like to know about it cos I'll drop on them like a ton of bricks.

So in summary I agree with both Bard *and* Ecksor and hence have not helped in resolving this matter at all :)

This argument may be mute[1] because I dont think we can actually flick a switch and allow that option, so we might have to go by the "report and wait for an admin" route.... Photopost isnt really all that clever...

Is it a problem to pm an admins (I'm happy to do it) and ask for something to be removed? I agree with Bards basic point but technically its a lot of work for something that is rarely abused and should be reported to an admin *even if* the owner had the ability to remove comments.

DeV.

Advertisement