Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Major Interview

Options
  • 30-12-2003 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

They are currently broadcasting the Gay Byrne/ John Major interview recorded at the NCH earler this year on RTE Radio 1 if anyone has the facility (and interest) to tune in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

DOD - I did not hear the interview. I read in the newspapers that Albert was in the audience.

Was there anything interesting said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

I tuned into the very last bit of it, and only heard him give advice to Bertie that if a crisis should ever arise, he should not look for political help, but help elsewhere!!!

Tomorrow, 31st of Decembers interview sounds good, Neil Armstrong!!! I think that it is on at 9am or something though!!! A bit early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Well firstly I have to say that I am extremely sympathetic with John Major. I think he was a great prime minister at a difficult time leading a party that was effectively unleadable. The interview was pretty lightweight, housewife stuff - this was Gay Byrnes fault, I don't think that the man has any political insight whatever.

John Major himself came across very very well. He had some extremely amusing anecdotes about his (bizarre) youth, his early political years, his rapid ascent to power, and ultimately the crucifiction of the party in the election that swept Blair to power. He was very genial, the stories and the timing had obviously been well honed through retelling in various interview-like situations. It was really well worth tuning in to.

I had hoped that RTE would put up a stream on their website after the broadcast, but unfortunately no. If they schedule a repeat, even though the interviewer is lightweight, it is well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    I read in the newspapers that Albert was in the audience.
    Prince Albert? Albert Brooks? Does it really matter?
    Originally posted by dod
    The interview was pretty lightweight, housewife stuff - this was Gay Byrnes fault, I don't think that the man has any political insight whatever.
    I suspect he doesn't. The debate on the late late show prior to the 97 presidential election was pretty cringeworthy. I wrote an article after the debate for one of the college rags deploring Byrne's inability to chair a serious debate. Might dig it up for the laugh.
    Originally posted by dod
    He had some extremely amusing anecdotes about his (bizarre) youth
    Heh, I'm sure it was pretty entertaining (Major can be when he wants to). It's somewhat traditional for kids to want to run away to join the circus rather than run away from the circus to become an accountant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Major was good, Byrne was very bad in fact he fVcked up all three interviews by not having any insight into any of his guests...also the RTE sound desk should have had someones head hit against it. On the first interview (with Seve) the sound op had'nt though it a good idea to mic up the either Gaybo or the great golfer The ambient hall mic was used so they both sounded like they were miles down a tube somewhere...

...and finaly a joke -

Major "In one word tell me how Russia is Boris"

Yeltsin "Good"

Major " Tell me in two words Boris"

Yeltsin - "Not good!" :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement