Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L + R audio output to single input jack on subwoofer

• 30-12-2003 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I got a Philips 728 DVD player for Christmas. It has 2 audio outputs (Left and right). My existing speaker
    system (really a glorified computer speaker set) has a subwoofer with a single audio input jack. So I bought a converter lead and I am delighted with the sound.

Anyway, afterwards, I was flicking through the manual (yes - afterwards ;) ), and I read this:
    Do not connect the DVD player AUDIO OT to PHONO IN of your amplifier or receiver

First of all, does this affect me?
    Secondly, Why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

That doesn't really make sense. Audio outputs are for connecting to audio inputs, naturally. From what you describe the input on your subwoofer is a stereo minijack input and you have an RCA-minijack converter.

Maybe the manual is referring to the digital audio RCA output. This looks just like a standard audio output but there is only one of them, not a red/white pair like the analogue audio outputs. Connecting the digital output to the analogue inputs on your speaker system could result in your speakers sounding like a Spectrum 48k loading from a tape.

If the system works and you are happy with the sound, then leave it be and enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

As an afterthought, the manual could be referring to the Phono input as in 'record deck' input on amps and receivers. Some amps have a built in phono pre-amplifier which is designed to accept the low level signal from a record deck and bring it up to the level of the other inputs. Connecting a normal line level source such as a DVD to this input will usually result the signal being overamplified and possibly distorted. Again, nothing to worry about in your case cos you are going straight into the correct input on your speakers.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Thanks for that robbie1876, much appreciated. Now, must go back to my new toy before the novelty wears off :D

Advertisement