Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infuriating Motherboard problem - suggestions please

• 30-12-2003 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I have a problematic PC that has been on the blink for the last year. Sometimes the thing won't switch on (doesn't even get to the BIOS check) and bleeps at you.

(By the way it's a P3 and I am using W2K).

Other times, it switches on but won't boot.

Sometimes, after it has condescended to boot up, it just switches itself off without warning.

Last week, it blue screened on boot and wouldn't even allow a safe mode boot, so I attached the hard drive to another PC, copied the important files from it, then reattached the drive to the original PC and did a reinstall of W2K hoping that this would resolve (or at least ameliorate) the problems. Installed W2K no problem then did a windows update to download SP4. The download completed, then, once again, the PC switched itself off during the install procedure. Now it will not boot at all.

On powering up, the computer doesn't get to the BIOS check and just beeps at you, so I don't even have the option to boot from CD or floppy.

The PC itself is infuriating, I am convinced that it is a hardware problem with some instability on the motherboard.

Anybody any suggestions for what I might try before ripping the motherboard out and hopping up and down on it in hobnail boots? Won't fix the problem, but it'll make me feel much better...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Try taking out the RAM and re-seating it. Do you know what BIOS it uses? If you do, and I'm serious, count the number of beeps, normally 2 or 3 in succession , and see if you can go to the bios manufactures web site and they will normally tell you that 2 beeps = xyz 3 beeps = abc. But try the memory first. When you remove clean the gold (or silver) parts woth an alcohol wipe, if you have one, or a clean dry tissue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

have u tried replacing the power supply?What motherboard is it?REGDS kmb

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

Sounds like either...

The CPU is overheating and is going over the shutdown temperture (settable in the BIOS). Try reseating the heatsink....make sure the fan is working.

Or there is a problem with the RAM, maybe incompatibility, try a different stick/brand.

Those are the 2 most likely problems, it's also possiblu a power supply issue, so you could switch PSU's. try all 3 of the above.

Advertisement