Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving without driving license

Options
  • 30-12-2003 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Just wondering what the story is with driving without having your driving license on you at the time? I have a full license which I lost a little while ago and I've gone and got it replaced but have to wait for it to be posted to my home address. Is it ok for me to drive while I'm waiting for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I think that should be alright. I've used that line a few times about my tax disk... 'its in the post officer', and got away with it (the disc really was in the post). Guess it all depends on what kind of garda stops you

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

as it's a requirement to carry the licence now, you'll probably be told to produce it in a Garda station within 7 days. Same as with motor tax disc.
    At least that's what you should be asked to do.

Not carrying your licence ss not an offence that incurs points on the, err, licence. Not yet anyhoo.

You can see what the list of pointable offences at Penalty Points

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

This situation could have been avoided had the minister decided on a new credit/id card style license.

The current format is simply unsuitable for carrying arount in your pocket as it invariably ends up getting washed by mistake.

At least the newer format will fit in a wallet and may survive this treatment IMO

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

I agree completely. The current driving license is unsuitable for carrying around because its too easy to get damaged and doesn't fit properly in wallets. It doesn't look like its going to change anytime soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Agree with comments on the driving licence. Paper thingy is not suitable for a document you have to carry all the time.
    Was talking to an English relation over the holidays and he had a credit-card sized driving licence. has a photo. Not everyone in the UK has them just yet as people are only getting them on renewals. One thing he said was the card is not the 'drigin licence'. There is a separate piece of paper, bigger than our licences that gives the details of vehicles you can drive. The card is just an abbreviated form of the licence and has to be renewed each 10 years as it contains the photo. His licence is val;id until he is 70 years of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

skipn_easy you should have gotten a reciept when you went to renew your licence, i believe if you have this to show it should be enough, however you may still have to show your licence at a garda station when you get it.

Advertisement