Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD's in Argos ?

• 30-12-2003 12:13pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not quite sure if i'm i'm in the appropriate thread, but what the hey. :D I've a stack of bonus bonds, and am looking to get an lcd for my computer at home. Kind of stuck with argos as they seem to be the only ones that accept these and sell lcd's. Has anyone any opinions on the ones they have, or have ye bought them? They sell a really cheap NEC one, a sanyo, one that I can't even see a brand for, and a Samung (most expenive). I'd be using a standard VGA rather than any digital type of connection...

Thanks for reading..

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

are you planning on using it for gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

A colleague bought an LCD display from Argos. Don't know which one and the guy is out until Monday next. However I have a NEC MultiSync LCD 1525M on my desk at the moment for a second PC. It's alright but I'm glad I don't have to use it full time. I've just done a quick Google for prices and it's retailing for approx $960 USD! * I find the text a bit fuzzy at 1024x768. It's worse at lower resolutions (quick check only)

There are a couple of things I do like about the monitor. Integrated sound (and headphone socket on the front of the monitor) Also has USB ports on the side so the number of cables can be reduced. It's also light compared to a 17 or 19 inch CRT and has a small foorprint leaving me more space to rest my forearms on the desk and reduce some tiredness. I spend about 8-9 hours a day on the computer, which is one reason I want sharp clear text on screen.

* Price correction: did a further check on the price and it's about 350 USD. That's a bit more reasonable. Still wouldn'y pay it having used the monitor though.

Hmm, I thought that text fuzzyness on your NEC could be due to it not operating in it's native resolution, as my 17" LCD screen has a native res of 1280 x 1024, but that's not the case as the NEC runs optimally at 1024 x 768 according to the manual for it, bah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Having just seen moridin's reply, the refresh rate on most of the cheaper LCDs is not good enough for fast moving games. You'd really need to see the game on an LCD screen to see if it will do.
    I would say generally that LCD screens are okay for most applications except gaming / detailed graphics work. But that goes for most PCs too. Gaming tends to be very demanding of the hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yeah, its called the Response Rate. 25ms average is "okay", while 16ms is virtually identical to using a CRT.

Just check the figures before buying.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks for the figures, I knew it was a factor, but not the details. Now i can go into argos to see can I get a look at the box. I can just imagine..

Mark: *walks to counter* Hi! What's the response rate on your lcd's?
    Storeperson: Umm.... *bang! head explodes* :D

I know i know, sweeping generalisation, they're all great people etc. I'll try and look up the details tonight for the various models and see can i get some refresh rates. :)

Thanks for the replies, keep'em coming.

Mark

just be careful that it's the response time and not the refresh rate that you're looking up, as refresh rates really don't make a difference on LCD screens, as the image is constant and don't need to be re-scanned like it does on a CRT :)

Roughly speaking, response time refers to the time needed for a pixel to change from black to white and black again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

For me the monitor needs to have a 20ms refresh or I find the blur annoying. Also a lot of 17" operate at 1280x1024 and some games don't run at that resolution.

I've never actually had a problem with games running at a lower res on my LCD screen.

Originally posted by moridin
    I've never actually had a problem with games running at a lower res on my LCD screen.

No you can do it, but they'll look blurry. Unless of course you've dire eyesight in which case everything already looks blurry. :D

• Advertisement

:eek:

casting aspersions on my eyesight indeed.

your monitor just sucks, accept it and move on with your life ;)

:eek:

casting aspersions on my eyesight indeed.

your monitor just sucks, accept it and move on with your life ;)

who said that :eek: ? Can't....see...monitor....clearly...enuff.. to ...respond....thud!

muahahahaha, I win again Lews Therin.

muahahahaha, I win again Lews Therin.

"Wheel of time" ?

this is getting very off topic, best leave it here :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_in_the_Wheel_of_Time_series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    while 16ms is virtually identical to using a CRT.

Not quite. The response time of CRT monitors is less than 1ms :)

Most TFTs with quote refresh rates of 16ms don't actually do that. Most of the time thats a peak rate and the average is a lot less than that. So I've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by unkel
    Not quite. The response time of CRT monitors is less than 1ms :)

Sigh, was waiting on someone to do that. :p

I clearly was referring to the end user experience, to most people 16ms is fast enough not to look different than a CRT.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Sigh, was waiting on someone to do that. :p

Sorry Matt ;)

Didn't actually know this myself, just got curious when you mentioned it was the same and looked it up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i think i may have read something about it being important how the manufacturere decides to measure the response time also something to do with the number of colours perhaps, does this ring any bells with anyone?

anywho i'd say this is quite a good guide with a lot of info

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145140

happy hunting

data

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Been checking around, and the sharp has a response time of 25ms, samsung is supposed to suffer a lot from ghosting. LG one looks fairly good as weel, with (depending on where you look response times of either 16 or 25 ms.) Currently leaning towards sharp....

Advertisement