Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8,000,000 bps or 512 kbps???

Options
  • 30-12-2003 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I've recently downgraded my OS from the ****efest that is XP to ,based upon previous experiences, the far more stable Win Millenium however I'm pretty sure that unfortunately it has conincided with a slight drop in my IOLBB download speeds.

I'm coonecting at a rate of 8,000,000 bps via Millenium whilst I was previously doing so at a rate of 512 kbps via XP.

Is there a difference?

Also download speeds are averaging 30-40kbps (at least over the past 24 hours) whilst when XP was installed I recieved a constant 50-100 kbps.

Am I being paranoid or is there a genuine hiccup occuring at the moment on my part?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Arsemonger
    stable Win Millenium
    Please don't use the words "stable" and "millenium" in the same sentence, it hurts my eyes. If you want a stable OS but your computer isn't up to XP, use Win2K. Windows Me is a f*cking monstrosity.

adam

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Didn't the Geneva convention outlaw ME as cruel and unusual punishment? Try 2k, or even 98 se. Or an cardboard box with "Pewter" written on it. :D Check that the modem has the latest drivers for it. Try installing cable nut to optimise your connection...

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 24 derrie

Erm, isn't 8,000,000bps nearly 8Mbps? - Cool upgrade on 512K!! :D

As for stable ME - don't get me started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

ME is crap. It's prolly doing something completly retarded like reporting the network speed instead of the speed of the ADSL.

ME is the worst creation of all time. An unstable version of 98 with tons of crap added on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by muffen
    It's prolly doing something completly retarded like reporting the network speed instead of the speed of the ADSL.
    Yeah windows does that a lot - reports modems as "connected at 115,000" and WiFi cards at "11,000,000,000 bps" - and you know it's either 1 or 2 Mbps cos of the signal strength and if you connect to a local VPN on a 10/100 LAN you sometimes get "9,600bps" " - go figure
    :confused:

It's probably just reporting the max possible speed at which windows talks to the device ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by muffen
    ME is crap

crap at what?
    can i help in some way :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

And off to Nets/Comms we go.

ME is reporting the speed at which it talks to your dsl modem, not the link between the dsl modem and the internet. Its crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

the far more stable Win Millenium

rofl, somebody move this to the humour forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by derrie
    Erm, isn't 8,000,000bps nearly 8Mbps? - Cool upgrade on 512K!! :D
    Heh, indeed.

It's like Moriarty said. Windows is reporting the port speed, not the actual browsing speed. In the same way, a 56k connection can be reported as 115kps because that's the speed the serial port is running at (not as my brother once thought (until he was curtly corrected) because the connection is super fast for some unknown reason)

And winME was the worst OS that ever came near my computer (and that's considering I once installed one of the more dodgy OS2 releases to see what it was like). Try windows 2000 instead, seriously. You won't regret it.

(having said that, I actually like XP. I've installed it with RH8 (yeah, I know, I'll get to it) on the laptop which is only a P3-450 and it runs rather well)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have to say I've had very few problems with ME - watch out here comes those two words again - ME has been reliable enough for me on a basic enough laptop !!

Do a search on MTU and MRU and make the required adjustments to the registry to give you back your full 50-60K D/L speed.

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I'm coonecting at a rate of 8,000,000 bps via Millenium whilst I was previously doing so at a rate of 512 kbps via XP.

A huge difference. 8,000,000 bps is approximately 16 times bigger. I have a feeling that the 512 should have been 512KBps which is kiloBYTES per second rather than Kbps which is kilobits. In any case, the 8 million figure is about twice the 512 if they're written correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I have a feeling that the 512 should have been 512KBps which is kiloBYTES per second rather than Kbps which is kilobits.

No, the original post is correct, it should be kiloBITS.

512KiloBytes = 4096Kilobits.

I find it unlikely he has a 4Mbit ADSL connection :)

Advertisement