Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~What should i do~

Options
  • 30-12-2003 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey all you people

I am really confussed there are so many different ways of setting up a network but i do not know the best way for me. I have a server running 2000 server small business.
    I have a wireless system but that does not really come into it will set that up myself.

Well the the real thing is should i buy a router and use that by pigy backing all the server and wireless off it, or link the server directly to the modem and then share the connection that way.

The server must run Exchange and DHCP, PROXY etc..

Can any one help

O what to do 0 votes

Modem to server then server to network ie. wireless
    0% 0 votes
    Router to switch to network ie. server and wireless
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't post a poll for questions like this again please.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 namit_coro

ok no problem what am i allowed to post up as a poll

also can anyone still help me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

a pro or con post can be used as a poll. In other words a poll for every question would be stupid. If you have a question ask something like, which is more efficient, easy to set up. Polls usually are something like, .... Ut vrs Ut2003 which did you like the best? kinda topic. Polls are for finding out information of preference not for finding a direct answer to your problems. so to say

In your case you should have just asked a question like:
    i need to set up a network that must support (insert required stuff here), which configuration would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

i'm going to assume that you have your workstations/other machines, connected to the server via a basic lan, i.e. a hub? If your server supports Exchange, DHCP, and proxy why bother altering it, if you want you can rig up a router instead of the server but i don't know if it will support exchange. IN the case of your wireless, why not just hook up the wireless hub like a standard machine and just have it connected to the hub connected to the server.

woops, didnt' notice that you had it mentioned in the poll that you're using a switch

the server is not running at the moment i have a wireless router doing all the firewall, DHCP etc.. but it is not satisfacutry because there is no way of loging things and passing through ports for IIS and the like.

i want to be able to set up the situation at easy to be able to expand in the future. If i just run the router as a firewall and the pass packets through it.
    Then the server can be for DHCP, IIS, PROXY, EXCHANGE and Domain for the network.

This will work but is it the best way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The router almost certainly does not firewall off the wireless clients just the WAN port.

Unless you use WINS ya might be better using DHCP on the router one less thing to go wrong on Windows.

Are you sharing internet access or just access to the SBS ?

Check the router info again - most have a syslog feature that would allow you to monitor things.

I am sharing the internet but i will link that all through SBS using DHCP, or am i not right in saying this :confused:

Advertisement