Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam from boards.ie

Options
  • 30-12-2003 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Was amazed to get this today, spam sent through the email a user facility on here!

From: "digitalit2002@yahoo.com" <digitalit2002@yahoo.com>
    Date: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:25:08 Europe/Dublin
    To: *******@c******.com
    Subject: Fwd: How to Get Free Pay-Per View

This is a message from digitalit2002 at boards.ie/vbulletin ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php ). The boards.ie/vbulletin owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email digitalit2002, you can use this online form:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?action=mailform&userid=23267

OR, by email:
    mailto:digitalit2002@yahoo.com

This is the message:

Hi, I thought you might enjoy this...
    Are You Ready To Save Big On Your Cable Bill?

If your tired of paying for Pay-Per View Movies, Adult Movies, Sporting Events, or Movie Channels than this product is for you! The Enhanced, 4th Generation Digital Cable Decrambler will not only enhance the quality of your signal, but will get you each of the above services for Free! This product is now at an unbeatable price of only $60.00 per filter. We also ship anywhere in the world and offer the best warranty on the market! If this product ever breaks in any way, shape, or form, we will gladly exchange it for you! Get this 4th Generation Cable Filter Now While Supplies Last!
    <a href="http://200.164.128.204/jmz/index.php?id=null">Click To Get Yours Today</a>
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Yeah, he's a cheeky bugger. I banned him about two hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Hmm, I got the exact same email. Does this guy have our actual email address or is he just using the email function on boards.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I got it too.
    The prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Oh aye, here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

It means you've left the 'Allow other users to email me' option checked. He doesn't have your email address, but he could paste his spam into a box on boards which then gets emailed to you.

If you don't like this behavior, go to your control panel and disable the option. We still ban anyone who spams like this.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Urge to crush, rising.

He must have gone through the digital cable forum and hand spammed people, he doesnt have anyone address and theres no way to mass spam people here.

Report anything like that to here and we'll clean it up.

I'm going to see if theres any way to fnck with his sh|t.

DeV.

But there is nothing to stop him creating a new login and doing the same tonight, other than block the e-mail option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by DMC
    But there is nothing to stop him creating a new login and doing the same tonight, other than block the e-mail option.

What a saddo he is, going to all that trouble just to spam a few people. tsk!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

nothing except that its not very efficient and its a pain in the arse.

Its like running away from a lion, I dont have to be faster then the lion I just have to be faster then you!

Similarly we just have to be more awkward then any of the other sites he could pick on. Believe me, I'm going to be as god damned "awkward" to him as I possibly can be. And I can be pretty "awkward" when I want to be....

DeV.

Right....

Further investigation shows:

Domain name: DIGITALCABLE4FREE.COM
    Administrative Contact:
    Smith, James ninja21m@aol.com
    8051 North Tamaimi Trail
    Nokomis, FL 34243
    US
    (xxx) 9158899

Technical Contact:
    Smith, James ninja21m@aol.com
    8051 North Tamaimi Trail
    Nokomis, FL 34243
    US
    (xxx) 9158899

[15:59] <regi> his website is hosted by Verizon
    [16:00] <regi> who have quite the strict spamming policy - http://www2.verizon.net/policies/spamming.asp

So, thats his actual number (ive xxx'ed out the area code) it seems and his actual name is James Huez

I just rang him and left a message on his answering machine offering to sell him one of our "Premium supporter accounts" for only 50 Euro a day (per year payable in advance of course).

So next stop is his webhosters to get him shut down. After that I think the US has some pretty strict copyright laws about software... I hope he doesnt have any "unlicensed" software cos like, that would be unfortunate.

Fnckin' spammers.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

you rang the guy lol! Should have made a couple of wierd noises down the phone and said u were watching him!

GOE DEV! :D

Here's the really funny bit...

Since presumably he gets cable for free (given what he's pimping and all) so I tracerouted his ip and its a cable provider in Pasadena...

acn10.ca-pasadena0.ne.earthlink.net is where it starts to time out.

The only IP he's ever used is 209.178.182.75 and its from a cable provider.

sooo.... given that its likely to be a fixed IP I think we should redirect him somewhere... perhaps a recent bill in the senate or the EU against unsolicited mail?

Its kinda ironic that his own "Free" cable link gives him a static IP we can fnck with.
    Can anyone say "hoist by your own retard?"

DeV.

One final screw with his sh|t today before I go home...

Thank you for your E-mail message to Verizon Online Abuse.

We apologize for any inconvenience the reported incident has caused you.
    Because we receive a large number of complaints each day, regretfully, a
    response to each message is not possible.

Verizon Online Security investigates each reported incident, and will
    take the appropriate action as permitted by Verizon's Internet Access
    Agreement and Acceptable Use Policy, which can be viewed at the website
    listed below.<snip>

Might or might not have any effect... *shrug*, actually it made me laugh to do it cos I've an evil sense of humour and I liked to pull the wings off flies as a kid. Its a desperate cry for help. Really.

I love slow day... gosh, if I've nothing better to do tomorrow I might screw around with him all day tomorrow too... :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Originally posted by DeVore

sooo.... given that its likely to be a fixed IP I think we should redirect him somewhere... perhaps a recent bill in the senate or the EU against unsolicited mail?

Its kinda ironic that his own "Free" cable link gives him a static IP we can fnck with.
    Can anyone say "hoist by your own retard?"

DeV.

LOL, the idiot.
    Just set it up to send him here http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm maybe do it every day for a week, methinks he will piss off ;)

B

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Got the mail myself, thanks for you hard work in hurting him dev ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Thanks to regi and DeVore for the avenging and what not. :ninja:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I tell ye regi is the truely evil one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

feckers using boards as a medium for their crap *shakes fist angrily* Boards.ie is the one forum that i trust with my real e-mail addy.

Yeah, I really do get unreasonably angry about people who abuse what we have set up here. lol... and I'm such a nice guy otherwise *grin*

Its like Aliens, we cant afford to let *one* of those fnckers in here! I wrote a journal about why, before.

Anyway, lets see if we cant add another head on a pike to the castle walls....

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

What I Don't understand is why I was emailed. I mean I've never posted on that forum you mentioned.

Yeah I dunno... who knows why they pick people to spam I mean... my penis is enormous and yet people *still* send me those spams :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Theres a possibility that thats just some random schmuck who's name was put into the Whois database. Unlikely but I'd rather go after the website and email... not to mention banning his IP so he cant come back...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,406 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I DID'NT get one - I demand spam! ;)

I imagine he found the Profile pages and clicked on the "Click here to email XXXX" option. That or got a bot to do it, simply by incrementally / randomly changing the userid in the url.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THESE E-MAILS BECAUSE THIS WILL THEN GIVE AWAY YOUR E-MAIL.*

*Stating the bleeding obvious.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Very true Victor...

Nice job Dev though. That's just class. The amount of info you can find from just an IP addy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Victor
    I DID'NT get one - I demand spam![/SIZE]

ditto and i don't want it. spam seems to be at a minimum with my email account atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

And you look so innocent DeV.
    You evil, evil man.

Advertisement