Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba SD card/XDA/Pocket PC 2002

Options
  • 30-12-2003 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ordered an SD card from http://www.flashcarddirect.com and the XDA/Pocket PC 2002 doesn't seem to recognise it. The card itself works fine as I've tried it on a laptop with an SD card slot.

I suspect that Pocket PC 2002 requires some sort of additional driver in order to use the card? I'm not too au fait with the Pocket PC OS so I'm not sure. I would have thought that all SD cards would be the same but maybe not. It is entirely possible that there's a problem with the XDA card reader but I've tried other cards with no problems.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Hi,
    Ordered an SD card from http://www.flashcarddirect.com and the XDA/Pocket PC 2002 doesn't seem to recognise it. The card itself works fine as I've tried it on a laptop with an SD card slot.

I suspect that Pocket PC 2002 requires some sort of additional driver in order to use the card? I'm not too au fait with the Pocket PC OS so I'm not sure. I would have thought that all SD cards would be the same but maybe not. It is entirely possible that there's a problem with the XDA card reader but I've tried other cards with no problems.

Cheers

I have a 128Mb card from fuji and it works no prob in my xda, there are no additional drivers needed

having said that, I bought a dazzle 6 in 1 card reader a while ago, and it also read the sd card no trouble. It did not read my 128Mb memorystick though, and according to the dazzle website, the firmware on the cardreader needed to be updated as the (non sony) memory stick could have timing issues. It could be that your SD card is having a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

That's what I'd imagine. But considering that the card reader in this case is integrated into the XDA I thought that there may be some upgrade/patch/driver that I could install.

I'll poke around a bit more to see what I come up with. Maybe PPC 2003 might have what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

never had any problems with SD card and the XDA - but have been keeping up to date with patches/updates currently running:
    ROM: 3.17.03 (15 May 03)

Accessed from: Start > Settings > System > Device Info > Version

as yet there is no 2003 upgrade available (officially) for the XDA, but hopefully it will be released at some stage...

BrianG

Hi Brian,
    I was hoping you'd jump in on this. How can I get the various patches/upgrades as I am running 3.14.13 which, I believe, is a virgin install.

I'd be quite confident that upgrades and patches might have an effect so if you could let me know where I could get these that would help to, at least, eliminate that line of enquiry.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, if you have an XDA purchased from O2 Ireland, the official O2 IRL XDA update is available here:
    http://web.o2.ie/portal/business/business_on_the_move/xda/softwareupgrade.html

tips when upgrading pocket pc devices:

all your data will be removed from the device during the process of installing the new system, sync to make sure you have an up-to-date copy of your PIM data, you will have to re-install any applications you have previously installed

use a USB cradle rather than Serial if possbile as it is much faster

don't connect through a USB Hub, connect directly to the USB port on the computer

make sure the device is charged up, and plug in the power adapter

close all other apps on the PC before beginning, just concentrate on doing the upgrade

and be careful... follow any instructions provided by the device vendor and all the on-screen instructions... with the Phone Edition devices there are two updates - one for the system (Pocket PC) and the other for the radio (GSM/GPRS)

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement

Brian,
    You're a gent. Someone on another forum would simply have said RTFM but you've provided all the info that you can.

I've yet to give it a go but I'll provide feedback here when I get around to it. Maybe I lucked out with a cheap SD card but for €40 there wasn't much at stake. I can still use it in my digital camera.

If anyone can recommend XDA-compatible cards at a reasonable price, please share it here.

Thanks again.

Managed to try the SD card out on an XDA II today and it had no problems so the card is definitely OK. I'll try the various O2 patches now and share the results.

Well I finally managed to upgrade the ROM on the XDA today as my XDA cable pack arrived from Expansys. The SD card still doesn't work but what's interesting is that the SD card that arrived from Expansys works on the PDA but not in the SD slot on my laptop. The original SD card I got works in my laptop but not in the XDA.

Go figger.

I should also say that I don't think the incompatible SD card is from Toshiba. That just turned out to be the manufacturer of the SD slot reader in my laptop.

Advertisement