Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WEP index keys question

• 30-12-2003 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

there are 4 index keys right?

can you please tell me are those 4 for 4 differenct passwords, or for one BIG password?

example: i have laptop with wireless card, i config the router with a password in index 1,

i have a pda with wireless i config the router with another password in index 2

so there are 2 passwords for 2 differenct devices,

am i right?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK everyone has to use the same WEP key, the other 3 I guess are for when you change the first key then you can tell everyone else to use "Key number 3" or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I think Capn is right there ... they are put in but if you change them without the WAP changing as well you are stuffed .... it would be handy if the WAP instructed all connected clients to use the next key every 30 minutes but I havent heard of this ... my netgear stuff doesnt do it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

I tried a WEP - the first one on a Win98 laptop and it just refused to be authorised.
    Maybe it was just acting up , but i found i had to add in all 4 keys before it would work properly.

Maybe the 4 keys are for the older models - i found that win2000 and xp just needed the first key and away they went.

I have tried this on 2 WAPs and 1 wireless router and it seems to be the same with all (granted with the same laptop).

Can anyone else try this as well and either agree or tell me im a twat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

i have wep disabled..
    dont know much about it (have a dlink 604 and wireless receiver on laptop)
    should i really use them and how would i go about so?
    i assume you make up your own wep keys?!

cheers

Heya Eddie,

WEP is just a security feature, it stops people from logging on to ur network by just driving by ur place and logging in

If you want someone to help ya with it , and ur in dub somewhere , let me know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

oh, cheers
    i live out in meath, but thanks
    sure ill give it a google when i get a chance!

meath isnt 2 bad either - im in blanch myself so just let me know if u need a hand

Advertisement