Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shagged hard disk?

• 30-12-2003 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I booted my machine this morning to find that windows was reporting my D drive (120gig maxtor, about 2.5 years old) to be unformatted. I find this strange since it was working fine last night, no strange noises or anything.
    I started partition magic 7, which says the partition is "BAD". No further info. The drive shows up with the right capacity etc in my bios. Anyone know how i can get the data off the drive?

edit: btw, it is an NTFS partition. fortunately this isn't the disk I boot from, but there's a lot of stuff on it that I would like to recover.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

maxtor have a lowlevel drive checker - forget the name of it but it's probably on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Easy recovery software.... I've seen it get data of drives that even the bios wouldn't recognise and had to but left in the freezer before they'd work long enough for recovery.... Have to have another drive to copy stuff onto... can run you off a copy if you like....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its ok, I managed to recover the data. Maxtor's powermax diagnostic software wouldn't work because it doesn't support nforce motherboards :dunno:

Advertisement