Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ways to increase fps?

Options
  • 05-02-2000 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm runnin a p166, 2mb graphics card, and i was wonderin is there anyway of squeezing out another few fps without buying anything?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Set your swapfile to 0
    Defrag your drive.
    and create a decent permanent swapfile again. (Depends ram)

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

thnks for info, but talk to me as if i were a child smile.gif, i'm still in school, so i'm not doin puters in college, and don't really know what u're talking about smile.gif swapfile ? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

set:
    loadas8bit 1

you only play dm3 in CA yeah?
    well run around it with
    r_numedges 1 on and get the max value.
    and set r_maxedges to that value
    do the same with r_numsurfs

that and the usual d_mipcap stuff is basically the max you can get out of qw within the game.

thnks Kali, average fps gone up by about 12 smile.gif in first post do u mean overclock my processor to 200? and dev can u explain to me what a swapfile is? smile.gif

yeah overclock it to 200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rat

type kill in the console

any other way smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭The Anarchist

If your not willing to Buy Anything I suggest you rob an Athelon 550 and overclock it to 700mhz with a G-Force card etc. etc. Ask anyone in Ballymun and they'll do it gladly for ya!!! stonesml.jpg

a 166 will run at 200 easily
    if its a gateway then the motherboard should have jumpers to do this easily.
    itll give you about 4-8 extra fps.
    it might be best to free up some of that video memory before you load quake as well .. get rid of any backgrounds and change to 640X480 256 color .. that should get you about 2-4 as well
    and use ps2rate itll make it feel a lot smoother to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Hey The Anarchist Ill kick your head. Nothing wrong with Ballymun *ahem* smile.gif

• Advertisement

I've moved this topic over to techology board as where it obviously should be smile.gif

Okay overclock it, this sounds hard, u need stuff don't u? smile.gif anyone recommend a site for overclocking pentium mmx 166 (gateway) to 200 without it blowing up?

Okay i've been to tomshardware.com, says p166mmx is very overclockable, even up to 250mhz wow!, it tells me to change these settings like 2x75 bus etc, but doesn't say how to do it. Any suggestions ?

+ what bus speed does a G5-166 run at?

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 06-02-2000).]

Advertisement